Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

punching bag form

Yarg!

Platinum Membership gift from THE BOMB SQUAD!
hi guys,

theres a punching bag in my gym, along with those pads that u can punch as a partner holds em up. i want to use the punching bag cuz its a good cardio work out, and as well as strengthen my punches/knuckles. so whats the best form to unleash my rage on the bag? thanks.

disregard the above or expect a broken hand.

stand left hand forward (if your right handed) kinda sideways to the bag,keep your elbows in and hit with the larger knuckles of your hand, I reccomend atleast hand wraps until you get use to punching the bag ,just mix it up and have fun but dont go nuts or you will get hurt,and a broken hand is never really right again

try doing some shadow boxing in the mirror, when it feels somewhat natural, give it a shot on the bag, and take it from me, wear some bag gloves, and goodluck

I always try to really focus on keeping hands up even while kicking while working solo on the heavy bag. I try to be a lot more strict on the basics while doing solo work on the bag or whatever since you don't have some one there to yell/tell you when you are getting sloppy. Very easy to develop bad/dangerous habits when you do a lot of solo work.

Funny thing was it went to this new gym that has some pro thai fighters and when we did kicking drills on pads the one trainer said to drop one of your hands when kicking.

This is one thing I'm a stickler on - keeping hands up AT ALL TIMES. When I spar/fight I love counter a kicker with a right or overhand right to the jaw right after they kick because alot of fighters drop hands when they kick.

You won't get the proper advice here. No one here, including me (I coach boxing and kickboxing) will teach you proper technique on the heavy bag. Just on the thread mill and get your cardio workout there.

Punching heavy bag is fun, but like demonix said, its easy to just hit away without thinking about form, and bad habits may develop. Like dropping your guard after a punch and stuff. Hand wraps are great for not ripping off the skin on your knuckles, which is easy to do. A heavy bag is great for after you've developed proper punching form and technique. A heavy punch with improper form may cause you to break your hand or bend your hand back too far as you connect. Also, if the bag is really heavy and your not used to it, you may get injuries or pain to your elbow joints and shoulders from the jarring effect of the impact after a while. A camcorder is great, better than mirror, to use to check out your form.

Hey demonix,

Interesting comment about never dropping your hands. Do you feel that you lose some power with your kicks? I agree witht the coach that told you to drop one hand when kicking. I'm just curious as I have wondered about this and tried both ways.

Top Bottom