Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Pullup Problem

aug1516x

I started a new training program and part of this program is doing pullups, palms facing outwards. I can do a a few with my palms inward, maybe 3-4 but these palms facing outwards are just impossible for me to do. It's like I reach a certain point on my way up and not only is it really difficult to pull myself up any higher but I feel as if I am trying to move my arms in a very unnatural position. The point of this thread though is to ask for some suggestions on things I can do to start being able to do these kind of pullups. Right now I am doing assisted pullups where I have one leg on the bench and I only use as much leg strength as I need to pull myself up, any other ideas?

pal,s facing outwards? do you mean away from you? I picture tou trying to do pullups with your palms facing to the outsides of you(right facing right, abd left facing left). in any case, I think you would benefit from having someone spot you aon the pullups rather than trying to spot yourself. if you dont know how this is done, here it goes. when you grab on to the bar, hang, then cross your legs behind you, and have your spotter assist you by your ankles, only if you can't go up by yourself. keep doing this until you can do these by yourself. once you get that down pat, add weight with a belt, chain, and some db's or plates.

Some gyms even have assisted pull up/dip machines. I can't see a problem with doing pull downs until you have built up the strength to do pull ups though.

pulldowns? lots of room to cheat. nothing better than doing the real thing assisted. with the pullup assist machine, it is kind of jerky, but with having a spotter, he/she could spot more, or less. just remember, there is no substitute for the real thing.

I should have asked these questions in my first response but here goes

are you a heavy set dude?
what kind of grip width do you use(close, wide)?

some exercises that may benefit your pullup would be bent over bb row(close grip pulled to your waist/stomach area, seated rows with a close grip, db rows.

Last edited:
I did mean palms facing away from me. A spotter is not a possibility because I am working out in my garage. By pulldowns are you referring to Lat pulldowns with a machine or something? I have tried different grips, both wide and close. The assisted pullups w/bench worked out ok and they did seem to work by back out some and my forearms a lot. I thought maybe I could just do palms towards me pullups rather than away from me but the palms towards me kind seem to only work my bicep a lot, not my back.

since palms facing you is easier for you to do than away, pull down to the lower part of your chest, your ribcage. this will target more of your back then bis. once you get enough strenght to do many of these, try plams away.

aug1516x said:
I started a new training program and part of this program is doing pullups, palms facing outwards. I can do a a few with my palms inward, maybe 3-4 but these palms facing outwards are just impossible for me to do. It's like I reach a certain point on my way up and not only is it really difficult to pull myself up any higher but I feel as if I am trying to move my arms in a very unnatural position. The point of this thread though is to ask for some suggestions on things I can do to start being able to do these kind of pullups. Right now I am doing assisted pullups where I have one leg on the bench and I only use as much leg strength as I need to pull myself up, any other ideas?

do negatives until your strong enough

ya negatives. im not sure lat pulldown strength translates over to pullups. to be good at pullups, do pullups.

Thanks for you help people. Negatives seem to work my back out quite well and I can use that leg strength to get up first if I have to then slowly lower myself down with my own strength. This should work out nicely.

Just one suggestion,

the People's Champ said that when you get spotted the spotter should use your ankles to help out. In my experience in spotting others, they dont like the ankle spot cause it makes them have to tense their legs and they lose concentration on their back. Instead, i find that people like to be spotted on their back. Get right up behind them with your face in their ass [yes, i know its fun] and then place a hand on either side of the back and push up. This way you have better leverage and they dont have to think about anything but their backs.

Just a thought...
-Fatty

Top Bottom