Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

pullup grip?

lavi

Most people seem to advocate a palms-away grip for pullups since it is said to do your back more whereas palms-facing does a lot of biceps. But I know that with palms-facing you can do more weight (because it uses more biceps :p). To me that means it does just as much back AND more biceps, in which case it would be a better compound exercise since it utilizes more muscle. No?

i find palms away gets more brachioradialis, upper forearm... feels like i'm doing a hammer curl. when you do palms away, i think there is more of a static hold element for your arms.

i do it with a supinated grip... to me, more weight and ROM = better.

edit: well, i guess if you were strong enough you could do a sternum pull up with palms away, but not too many people that can do that...

I prefer neutral (parallel) grip. Seems to maximize my lat involvement over palms-facing or palms-away grips. My strength is similar to that of palms-away, but a little less than palms-facing. I can do about 15 of these dropping slowly to a full hang and touching my sternum at the top. I can only do about 12 like this if my palms are facing away.

super_rice said:
i do it with a supinated grip... to me, more weight and ROM = better.

yeah pretty much what i was thinking but most people say doing palms away is better for working ur back...

I use palms facing because it's easier on my shoulders.

There is some bicep work involved in this style of grip especially at the bottom. As long as you flex your lats hard and have a good mind muscle connection it'll tear up your upper back.

I use palms away for most sets, but I get my palms around the bar so I can hit the lats more. I've heard that gripping the bar in the finger strains the forearms more. I still do some sets with palms facing and parallel for variation.

Top Bottom