Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Pull Ups vs Push Ups?

Bloodfire

This is my first of many posts, so i didnt know where to post it but here it goes anyways. After winter ive gain some wieght and lost some muscle, so i started working out around the house, dieting, running, sit ups, push up and pull ups.

Heres my question, whats differents betweem pull ups and push ups, like what area of the back, chest and arms do they work different and the same. im only asking this is because after i do acouple of sets of pull ups, my hands kill me but i dont get that with push ups. so i raither do more sets of push up then pull ups but dont want to lose something from not doing set of pull ups. That may of not made any sense to all you vets out there but any info would be great and thanks!!

Last edited:
moved to Training board. Guys, be nice.

Then again, please take the time to read some of the background info, it will help you a lot in your way.

Push ups and pull ups are compound movements, this mean they don't isolate a specif muscle but workl several muscles at the same time (with one major muscle and several accesory or support muscles). They are both called "bodyweight exercises" since you are basically working only with your bodyweight.

pushup: chest/shoulder/triceps
pullup: lats (when done properly, it's more lats than biceps), traps, rhomboids, biceps, forearms, triceps

you have to take into account the positive and the negative part of the movement.

For some additional info:

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/PectoralSternal/WtPushup.html
http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/LatissimusDorsi/WtPullup.html

Your hands kill you probably because your grip is weak from not training. Keep with the pullups as well as the pushups because they work different muscles. Or better yet, join a gym.

push ups involve muscles that extend the arm, pressing: shoulders, chest, some lats triceps. pullups involve muscles that bend the arm, upper back muscles, biceps, some shoulder etc. as a real basic rundown.

Top Bottom