Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Proper Bench Press form

peter8581

What do you guys think the proper form for bench pressing is?

My friend is arguing with me that you are NOT meant to lightly tap the lower pectorals with the bar when you go down. He insists you do not go too low to the chest before moving back up. He works for ace fitness ( http://www.acefitness.com )and he says he asked trainers there, and they say the same as him. Is Aces way really better? He was saying they are a standard for how tings should be/are done in the gym.

I can't be convinced because every source I have found says to go down and tap the lower pecks before moving up.

What do you guys think?
:confused:

Tap 'em. If you don't go down to your chest it should be because of an injury you're working around (lightly). It's easier to not go to the chest, but to the chest is the way it's meant to be done.

ACE isn't a very reliable source of information. ACE teaches you how to count reps, that's about it.

Go down as far as you fell comfortable, and make sure to keep your scapula retracted.

I say tap 'em, you really feel the stretch better when you tap 'em. makes you have to work for that extra inch or so.

do you want gym science or other opinions?

gym science will say to touch your chest...which normally means use your ribcage as a catapult to get those first 3 inches of travel back up.

if your grip is right, an inch or 2 above your chest will put your upper arm straight out from your body..and thus not require you to retract your scapula. if you go further down beyond that, the stress shifts to your anterior delts and you have to retract your scapula. the more neutral you can keep your posture, ie your upper shoulder girdle, the better you will be at handling weight. retracting your shoulder blades just takes the stress of holding the weight off your muscles that stabilize the shoulder. ie pectoralis minor.

just a thought.

try keeping your shoulders neutral and not arching your back. it extends the travel of the bar and ensures a full range of motion. provided you dont take too wide of a grip.

good info bignate!

I think i might have been doing bench press wrong, im not sure, but whenever i do it now i have pain in both my shoulders (i.e not a muscular pain). Anyone got ideas why this is and how i can get back to becnh pressing again? Ive been out for a few weeks now and its really depressing me.

p.s. I retract my scapula and tip my chest with the bar, i usually do about 8 reps.

:bawling:

Thing about adjusting your grip which will change the stress placed on your shoulders as you bring the bar to your chest. Make sure your form is correct and controlled.

Top Bottom