Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

proper bench press

pasta

proper bench press

I have a group that comes over to my house to work out. We were talking about what qualifys for a bench press. I was told that the arms should only go a little past 90 degrees or you over extend the muscle. want to clear this up. Thanks

I stopp 2-3 inchest from my chest as I bring the bar down. I hate seeing guys bounce the bar off their chest.

yes i agree. I was told by a physical trainer and my father who i a certified trainer that you only go a little past 90 degrees with your elbows. I would just like to se what other people think and to have him see it in black and white. This is the best forum ive seen and i think i will get the best replys. Thank you

competitionn wise you must lower it to the chest touch, pause and press. If you are talking about physical wear on the body some advocate not flat benching at all.

marx said:
I bring the bar down in a controlled motion, touch chest and pause, then explode up..

That puts excessive strain on your humerus and deltoid (anterior, I think). Not sure about the rotator cuff. I was always under the impression that 90degs is chest, anything else starts working other muscles.

Other opinions?

Thats y bench press is a power movement like squats and deadlifts, they all use more than one of the muscle groups.

About 50% of the pec's range of motion is worked over the bottom 3-4 inches of the movement, so don't short change it... If you just want a big chest, stick to dumbbells. If you want a big bench, then bench like a powerlifter. Touch and go.

Top Bottom