Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

The Price To Powerlift!

powerlifterjay

Ya know i got an email today from someone and at the end he asked me if i still competed for fun. The answer is hell yes i do it fo rfun. But it is also very serious too. Like Louie Simmons says westside is his life. If you get in this sport half ass ..you know.Take my last meet i did. The WPO Bench Bash for Cash. When this guy asked me this today this is what i thought. Ok i weighed in 48 hrs early. So i took off work one day (thurs) Price $125.00. I know i dont make much. Well after weigh in i go home sleep then i iant going to work fri either. Gotta get my hotel and eat and settle in. My choice on that one. But again $125.00. My room $60.00 , i wont count food caus ei gotta eat anyway. Think god my sponsers paid my intry fee But lets add in anyway $100.00 , i forgot didnt have WPO card, $25.00 . Foget the price of shirts n shit they last longer then 1 weekend. Now the total is now up to $435.00. To lift. My wife says if i win Small chance of that, we can stay the weekend. Well think god i got 500 bucks and we stayed 1 more night. So really i broke even for th eentire weekend. Had i walked away with nothing, I still have had a great experince there caus eit is fun. But it ain tcheap, and it can get serious. Especially when you aint rich. SO the answer to his question. yes and no. We allneed to train hard,lift big or do m,eets at the YMCA. No risk , no worries. I Know flaprltr And his crew travel to ohio. Of course i dont know there income but its still serious to an extent. But like someone on here said the sign at westside say something like lift big or get the fuck out what ever it says it sounds serious to me. Dont waste his time and dont waste yours either. So even though we do this for fun. At every level the cost the competition it all gets more and more. I love this sport and i dont know how long i will do it, i hope forever. But while i do it i can when at home be fun about it, but i see it becoming my life and who i am, not sure if this is good or bad. But it just is. But when i am training or competein i am focused and pretty serious. SO like i ssaid earlier my answer to the question do i still do this for fun. A definite Yes, but with a little seriousness! But i also need to lighten up a bit about it cause dammit it is fun!

DAMNIT that was really inspiring and I can't wait til I start competing even sooner I can't wait til tommorow ME BENCH love it. On top of that I can't wait to eat again to get stronger. LOL. Man I love this sport

I dont think you can put a price on personal satisfaction.
I cant put a price on the feeling i get when i break a PR.
I cant put a price on the satisfaction i get when i lift.

Powerlifting has changed my life so much.
im a different person now.

im proud of what i do.....no mater if my mum and dad think im kooky. or the people at my work stare when i eat my lunch.

something beyond material gain.......

something is reminding me off the race track down the road.
Its a radio control car racing track. those guys spend $100's and $100's of dollars on that stuff. and for what gain? there is no money in that. no competetions to win your money back (well not in australia) yet they get a thrill of the little car going round and round in a circle.......while we get enjoyment from pushing iron off our chests.

Yes you are correct we do this cause we love it. But if your not serious a bit dont waste your familys money meaning your wife n kids money to compete. Cause this sport aint 100's of dollars its thousands. I have over $1000 in bench shirts alone. About $400, until next month it will be more, on sqaut suits. And you figure its on average 35 bucks to compete, some more some less, as of now i have around 25 meet sunder my belt so theres $875. Forget the price of travel, hotels, gas, food. My point is this if your serious you must lift like it. It is fun, i do it no matter what the cost. I dont care about trophies. But if you dont truly believe in what you do, and you train with your buddys and dont crack a sweat, well in my opinion your wasting your time. Oh ya forget the price of supplements you have to take. So even though it is fun to compete, you must be serious too. And every true powerlifter that i know truly lives th elifestyle 24 , 7. worring about when will i eat again, what will i lift in my next workout, will my partners show up. And i know if we had a carrer ending injury most of us would hit a serious state of depression for awhle! So have fun, I do, i cant sleep a few nights before a meet cause i am so excited, not nervous, excited, nothing compares to that, but if i spend money to enter a WPO meet and bomb, even though i may take it in stride, my wife is gonna be fuckin pist! Ya'll take this post in fun that is how its meant to be. I don tmean to shed light to some , in fact i shed some on my self. But you can lift big compete, use decent equipment, and enter meets under a 2hr drive and be fine. Probably never feel like you spent anyting. In fact the WPO meet was my most so far usually its 40 bucks and a drive. I guess once you get all your equipment your half way there!

You are right -- this is a sport that is fun and always should be fun, but you have to be serious. It consumes most of my time and plenty of money. I have given away at least 10 squat suits over the past year and I still have at least 10 in my closet that I don't use. I have even spent the money and put a gym in my garage, which is not cheap and can become a pain in the ass, just ask my wife. She understands though and it gives me more time with her and the kids. Now I don;t spend a half hour driving to the gym and another 30 minutes running my mouth.

Top Bottom