Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Preventing Shoulder Injury (Specifically Rotator Cuffs)

blaster220

I am training shoulders hot and heavy trying to get them to catch up to the rest of my body. They are seriously lacking! However, I am trying to be very careful as last year I had some problems with my left shoulder after doing some upright barbell rows tore it up!

The good news is, neither shoulder has given me problems this year, but is there any way to strengthen shoulder joints, such as your rotator cuffs to prevent future injury? I'd like to get things sorted out and strong before trying to up serious weight. I'm willing to do any kind of exercise or routine to keep these in shape.

Thanks!

Lie on a bench on your side, upper arm against your trunk, elbow at 90 degrees. Take a light (5 -10 lb to start) dumbell and rotate your shoulder through its comfortable ROM (external rotation). Repeat with other arm (internal rotation). Then turn over and do it in reverse (4 exercises total). There is also a bar called a shoulder horn that lets you do a variation of the exercises while standing up

if you got a couple xtra bucks, go out and get a theraband. It's like a big a$$ rubber band with handles on each end. Wrap it around a pole and do your normal rotator cuff exercises. That helped me when I hurt my right shoulder really bad. Didn't tear my 'cuff but came close enough from what the doc' said. Also, I'm sure people may disagree with me, but look into Shark Cartilage and Glucosamine Sulfate. I do the theraband before I do chest and it really warms up my shoulders and stretches them out nicely. Good luck dude.

The rotator cuffs are small muscles- if your shoulders are lacking and with a previous injury too, consider doing these movemnts with very light DB to start, say 2lb, then progress. I've seen guys doing 5 lb rc movements in pain, had to drop the weight down, then build up.
Another exercise you may find helpful is to lie face down on a bench, arm w/ DB extends to floor, slowly bend arm to 90 degree bend, palm facing down.
Hope this help some. :)

Top Bottom