Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

preacher curl: ez-curl of straight bar?

arjuna

I've always used an ez-curl bar for preacher curls, since the straight bar appeared to put too much stress on my forearms. It felt like my forearms were in an unatural position. But now I'm thinking that perhaps the tendons in my forearms were just tight and I could hit a new angle in my arms if I started incorporating the straight bar. Any thoughts, comments, or stories on using the straight bar instead of the ez-curl bar?

If you do try it and I did you should cut you weight at frist. I found that if I cut my weight by about ten pounds I did not have any problems with my forearms. Over time I moved up in weight and did not have the problem with my forearms. I love to do it every now and then just to shock my arms.

I don't believe in 'angle' training, but i would agree that straight bar would place a fair amount of torque on the wrists. I suggest you keep using ez curl bar

Yes, a bit more 'torque' on the wrists, bur also more supination for the biceps. Anyway as long as I keep training fore-arm wrist complex I don't have a problem with the straight bar. But i know what you mean, some time ago I had very little time to train and as a consecence I stopped training wrists and sometimes got wrist issues when doing straight barbell or preacher curls

This is what i do for fore-arms / wrist:

8 - 6 - 6 reps EZ-bar hammer curl
8 - 6 - 6 reps dumbell hammer curls
3 * 20 reverse cable curl
3 * 20 reverse barbell curl
3 * 30 barbell wrist curls
3 * 30 dumbell wrist curls

I feel that my brachialis need low rep work and the fore-arm flexors need high reps to shred the dense red fibers

Sure, heavy deadlifts and shrugs can greatly improve strength and size of the forearm, but even than you must conside it's the relatively long time under constant tension (holding the weight)that induces the respons....

If your wrist can take it, i would go for the straight bar.

I prefer ez curl bar with a narrow grip, I get a good stretch/pump in my bi's, and it doesn't hurt my wrists

Straight bar, Ez bar turns the wrists precisely in the wrong direction.The biceps has two functions- bending the arm and supinating the hand. Do them elbows narrow, Hands wide.

Top Bottom