Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

POWERLIFTING VS BODYBUILDING!

thats shity , i saw him two weeks ago and he looked thick and cut and that was still two weeks out. I wasn't there but yoiu have poined the guy yu were talking about that took 3rd out to me before and he definitly had no legs , 6'1 got down to 185 shit thats just skinny. Oh well at least he can accell in PL now.

benchmonster said:
I am an athlete, not a beauty pageant contestant. Different strokes for different folks.

B.

Couldn't have said it better myself. The other attraction as has already been said is the comradery...everyone helps everyone. Back stage if someone blows out a bench shirt...usually a fellow competitor will let him borrow one. Have a question...just ask somebody and they will try to help.

In my gym I know that I learn as much from my teammates as they learn from me. We regularly sit around after a workout and discuss each others strength and weaknesses..and how to address them. We get stronger together.

And as for the comments about Powerlifting being politics. I am sure it is present to some degree. Some high squats pass....some uneven lockouts pass. But politics never lifts the weights. And if you are only competing with yourself....then what does it matter?

I agree there are politics in Powerlifting. But its all about getting invited or themnot knowing you for different sponsers. But if you want and you have the strength, well you can compete and lift and then you can NOT be denied.

One thing i noticed is there were people on stage that really didnt belong there. But they dieted and tried. People laughed at them and wispered , hell we did too, Quitely. In powerliftin i have never seen anyone laugh at someone for their lifts. There isnt much comradery in that sport. Unless its your team. BUt i mean amongst competitors.

My rewards in powerlifting come in the gym. My team, and man we are a team. Without them (as i seen in Indiana) its very hard to be the best you can be. BUt when i PR i am on top of the world. With bodybuilding your PR's come in bf% dropping, you THINK you look bettr in the mirror, or win a show. Which is good, but i like my PR's closer togther.

I didnt start this thread to really knock it, cause if you know everyone that you need to know to win shows , i am sure you love BB. I just felt bad , because in my and many's opinion my buddy was 3rd maybe 2nd. I say second cause the guy who won should have been second. He was in one word SMALL. In fact i walked up to or passed by many of the heavyweights , and they were all little. YOu could tell 100% my buddy was a powerlifter. He had thickness none had. His back density was awesome. Oh well he is done now , he will return to powerlifting, but we are proud. I just wish his first experince was what he deserved and not a smack in the face , by politics.

Powerliftin rules!

Yeah,

that is Johnnie Jackson, he is a freak. Very few can compete at the top level in both powerlifting and bodybuilding. Ladnier is another that comes to mind, but not many others.

For most, it just takes two vastly different training methods. Some, and very few at that, are lucky enough to be competitive in both. Kind of like Bo Jackson and Deion Sanders. Not too many of those type of guys running around either.

B.

I like strongman for several reasons...it is a put up or shut up game...just like powerlifting. It is all about how bad you really want it...and how much pain you are willing to take.

Strength training displays heart on contest day...in my opinion.

B True

i went to the emerald cup out here in washington some weeks back. i went to see a friend who had a wife who was competing.

one thing struck me there. no one there looked like they were having a good time. the people in the audience were all pretenders. they couldnt make it onto the stage so they sat in the stands leering at each other.

they had some pros in the back (stan mcrary, king camali), and some other freaky citizens. looking at them was cool, but they were all there to hawk their wares (proteins, equipment, etc). none of them looked like they wanted to get friendly, share advice, etc.....

the competitors were actually the nicest ones i think, probably because they had the discipline to make it onto the stage and could appreciate another athlete (even if my sport was powerlifting). but just the same, they looked worn out and unhappy.

i remember at the national level in powerlifting, everyone seemed to have a good time. someone blew a shirt, there was always someone on hand to lend another one. you could always count on someone else's trainers to help you out as well. lot more comraderie.

my concern with the WPO is that the money and showy aspect of it will ruin the comraderie of our sport. whenever money is involved people just get a little whacky. oh well. i have not yet competed in a WPO meet but hope to soon. i will let everyone know how it turns out.

any on here been to one????

/irish

Very good point man...at my last strongman contest I remember the guy who beat me cheering me on...and I him. We were all laughing, cheering, and giving advice to each other. That is what strongman is all about.

I remember Willie Wessels giving advice to a guy at Nationals last year as to how to beat him on the log press. He told the guy to make his 3rd attempt and hope that Willie misses his 3rd attempt. The guy did what Willie told him...and sure enough...Willie missed his 3rd attempt. Share, learn, and continue to share.

If we can't have fun competing...why should we compete?

B True

I have been to the WPO Full power meet to watch. Kinda cool. And yes i cashd 500 bucks for last year Bench bash For cash.

I looked around the warm up room and there they were. George Halbert, Kenny Patterson, Angelo Bardinelli, Arnold Coleman, Joe Daughtery, Louie Simmons, Rob Fusner, Ryan Kennelly, and a ton of others. It was an awesome feeling warming up with them.

When i got to Daytona to weigh in i was 6 lbs over and thought i would burn them off there. I went to a Big Hotel (the one were staying at this weekend) and made this mile long walk and went into this indoor pool area, and first face i see was Angelo Bardinelli in the juccuzzi. I asked him were the sauna was he said thorugh there, Kenny is in there too. I went in and there was Kenny Patterson. We sat in there for awhile, he had a digital scale in there so we would sit rinse weigh and back in. Lost 6 lbs in about an hour. Nice guys, and very helpful. I didnt knwo abou the shower in cold water after every 20 minutes or so. He told me about his take on shirts and how crazy JM is. Nice guys.

I am not sure if Pro Bodybuilders are even half that down to earth. They (pro BB) have WAY to much ego. And for me that is alot!

Top Bottom