Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Powerlifting/Bodybuilding joint program

hoo

I remeber reading that body building routines would mess up a powerlifting routine because you cant do 80% for hi reps after max or speed day..

1st off , is this true?

2nd, I just got back into working out after a brake and before I used to just do chest.. (what a suprise)..anyway i learned that there is much more to working out then a nice chest, infact i really like powerlifting now.. I like to be strong and fast.. i just started powerlifting and included some olympic moves like power clean and a light to moderate weight on snatch for foot speed and overall balance...

Well I am trying to have the best of both worlds.. I want to powerlift and still do dumbell flys and dips for a nice chest and other bodys parts to pop out..

Will this extra work load (80% of 1rm for 3 sets or 7reps) mess up my max/speed days and slow my progress down?

PS: I learned it one thing to look strong but another thing to be strong...Thats what got me into powerlifting...

It can be tricky...you don't want to overdo the hypertrophy work if you're training for strength.

However, if you incorporate some add'l chest work into your ME bench days, I don't think it'd be too much. I did some db flyes for a while, and I don't feel like it was detrimental.

Are you thinking about doing some other "accessory" type work as well?

Note: I have been using Westside BB as the model for my routine..

For my chest ME I do dumbell work lat work then I do heavy dips elbows out then I finish with flys..

On DE day I actualy do 3 sets of flat and 3 sets of incline bench all at 80% 1rm for about 6reps, then lats then a DB fly and heavy dips..

On my Squat days is were I do alot of bent knee deadlifts and stiff leg good mornings at 80% 1rm for 3s of 6reps.

I am 6'2" weight 205, I need to pack on quality mass (looking to weight in at 220), so I wanted to add the hypertrophy work to also gain some muscle mass (weight)..

Keep in mind that in PL the recovery is extremely more important.. BB causes much more damage to muscles than is desired in PL.. We had a guy come out from Metal Militia and he said they only train about 6 month out of the year TOTAL... recovery is paramount, and it is not just muscle, but also nervous system recovery...

I guess it would depend on how competitive you want to be...

A little hypertrophy work is not a bad thing, and even required to keep pushing the weights higher and higher (even WSB incorporates a little bit of hypertrophy).... If I was going to hit stuff like that tho, I would keep it pretty basic and not too much flys, cables, etc...

Becoming said:
Keep in mind that in PL the recovery is extremely more important.. BB causes much more damage to muscles than is desired in PL.. We had a guy come out from Metal Militia and he said they only train about 6 month out of the year TOTAL... recovery is paramount, and it is not just muscle, but also nervous system recovery...

I guess it would depend on how competitive you want to be...

A little hypertrophy work is not a bad thing, and even required to keep pushing the weights higher and higher (even WSB incorporates a little bit of hypertrophy).... If I was going to hit stuff like that tho, I would keep it pretty basic and not too much flys, cables, etc...

Agreed with the above. It is pretty hard to have the best of both worlds. I have pretty much chucked my last 7 years of bodybuilding training since i have been training up at Westside and using their/Lou's methodology. My training partner and i do some of the assessory movements, but mostly keep to the workouts we have developed and are constantly changing. I am told by most everyone i have spoken to at Westside that change is best, never continue to do the same thing every workout - like i did in bodybuilding. Just this week we added in bands and will continue this for about 3 weeks before moving to chains. Adding plyometric movements to increase explosiveness and speed. I learn something new everyday by reading and trying new movements.

TO NOTE: Since i have stopped doing most of the training of all the parts of my muscle groups as in B.Building - my weight has dropped from 150 to 135, but through powerlifting and incorporating all the new movements my strength has increased - no wraps, no belt as before. It is really an awesome thing to experience. I do try to keep my weight low in the hopes of a better coefficient. If i keep getting stronger and can hold at 135lbs - i will.

In the end what i am saying is maybe through these new workouts you won't gain much mass or move up a class - but get stronger and maybe compete at the 198 class...what do you think about that?

Quadsweep's Sister said:
I am told by most everyone i have spoken to at Westside that change is best, never continue to do the same thing every workout - like i did in bodybuilding.

Don't mean to hijack, but why is constant change necessary with the accessory movements? I read that too but never got why.

lavi said:
Don't mean to hijack, but why is constant change necessary with the accessory movements? I read that too but never got why.

Constant change stimulates the muscles... The muscle development starts to decline if you continuously hit the same range of motion; slight adjustment on the angles due to different movement of the same muscle keeps the muscle fibers stimulated...I think the quote was “Keep the muscles thinking”.

Now back onto my original post:

If I have to choose between PL and BB I have to go with PL. I have noticed that at the end of my work outs I have been to tired to even do the BB training anyway... I try to throw in some db flys and curls but I'm just to tired.
Also I read in one of Lou Simmons articles on his website that hypertrophy work is necessary if the lifter wants to move up in weight class. He or she should add extra sets of bench and db work. But it may take up to several years before you reach the desired weight class.

Thanks for the imput guys.

Last edited:
Quadsweep's Sister said:
TO NOTE: Since i have stopped doing most of the training of all the parts of my muscle groups as in B.Building - my weight has dropped from 150 to 135, but through powerlifting and incorporating all the new movements my strength has increased - no wraps, no belt as before. It is really an awesome thing to experience. I do try to keep my weight low in the hopes of a better coefficient. If i keep getting stronger and can hold at 135lbs - i will.

In the end what i am saying is maybe through these new workouts you won't gain much mass or move up a class - but get stronger and maybe compete at the 198 class...what do you think about that?

When I first started PL type workouts I dropped weight for a bit too, but as I got used to using near max weights more frequently, it has come back with a vengance... lol

Glad to hear you have joined our ranks... I am sure you will be more than just a little successful! (as you are/were in BB) :)

One of the tshirts I used to sell (i may still- i can't remember whats there) says "big isn't strong, STRONG is strong".
I have a few routines on my site for size and strength, but they are general ones- not designed to excel in both arenas.
they are on the routines page.
http://weightliftingdiscussion.com

Top Bottom