Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Power Factor Training

Don't do it. I did power factor training's bastard child, static contraction training (SCT). Did absolutely nothing, lost size and full-range strength.

heh, i can see losing full range strength...but the principles of the partials make a lot of sense using such maximal weights, and the progressive overloading principles by weight and time under tension. Some real weird stuff in that book, i just read it today.... like where they tell you to only eat 16 cals over your mainteance to gain 10lbs of lean mass a year ;)

waste of time. my roommate trained someone by the book on that shiot, he ended up as weak as when he started. he started full ROM work and now he is making progress.
go figure.

thanks, i was just bored today, so i went to the library checked that out and read it, was wondering what ya guys thought. Thanks for the thoughts ;)

Ive been doing HIT - The Mike Mentzer way for 3 months now. And i got much the same answeres about that training as you got about this. But i found it to work extremely well for me. So i think the only way to find out for sure, is to try it.

Im currently reading the Power Factor book myself. Not sure if im going to try it, but it does sound interesting. After this many years of training im all about trying new things.

this thread never dies . . . sigh

[p.s. For those who don't know, the retarded idea behind power factor training is roughly this: Powerlifters are huge and strong. Powerlifters handle huge weight. You want to be big and strong, but can't handle huge weight. But you can lift huge weight if you use a very, very limited range of motion and poor form. Therefore, you can pretend to be big and strong by lifting huge weights with poor form through a limited range of motion. In my gym, this also is called the dumbass-workout. Power factor training adds a number weightxrepsxtime, a so-called "power factor", to the basic retarded concept above, for the purpose of making gimmicky stupid graphs and calling it scientific.]

bodhi, Mike rules. Power factor training is very, very different. Mike emphasizes (logically) complete range of motion, absolutely voluntary contraction to failure, and chooses exercises that put peak resistance at peak contraction. Benching through a few inches of motion is completely illogical. Even if you have heavy, heavy, weight, only 30% of the motor units will need to be recruited to move a bar 2 inches to lockout. So even if the weight provided an extra growth stimulus, it would only do so for a fraction of the muscle fibers. Growth will be minimal. If a myofiber is not in a contracted muscle fiber, it cannot be overload, and will not grow. I bought it too (power factor), but don't try to justify the loss by trying it. I did, you'll be sorry at the rampant catabolysis. You've been had, cut your losses, and go read Mike's book again to purge your soul. My 2 c.

Last edited:
Top Bottom