Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Power Clean Training for meet

CoolBeans

In about one month I am going to enter my 3rd PL meet of the year. I'm 17 years old, 185 lb and last sunday at a standard (Bench, Squat, Dead) PL, I managed 300 Bench, 370 Squat (bad knees), and 460 Dead. It was good enough for 2nd place overall. (1st Bench, 2nd Dead, 3rd Squat).

The problem was the kid who took first place these two past meets is a strong deadlifter and squatter. He got 505 dead and I think about 400+ squat. His bench is weak, about 250lb. Since this next powermeet is close to his home school I assume that he will be at this next meet. But since the deadlifts are dropped and exchanged for Power cleans I have a better chance at the win.

I should be good for about 305+ bench by then and about 390lb squat. I'm not sure on my powercleans but I am going to train them. Does anyone know a good workout that replaces deads for power cleans? I can't seem to find any good ones. Thanks!

We do power cleans as an assistance movement from time to time but not as an actual competition lift. You can train them from the floor or do partial movements from the knees or waist. As far as sets and reps, I would work mainly on explosion and technique using light to medium weight with 3-5 reps. Are your knees that bad or is it squat form that's the problem? If your knees are extending beyond your toes then you should work on your form. Keeping your shins vertical and pushing your hips back with a tightly arched back will take unneccessary strain off your knees. Are you permitted to use protective gear? Also, check out the links on www.apa-wpa.com. On the links page on the bottom right are olympic weightlifting web sites. They probably have what you're looking for.

I believe am I required to go from the floor in the competition. I know some people pick the weight up, drop it, then power clean it. I'm not going to do that.

My knees have severe oshgood slaughters (sp) disease. Basically it is a common growing defect where part of the bone doesn't fuse correctly due to a growth spurt in the teen years. I have a large bump right below my kneecap on both legs. The bump actually sticks out more than my kneecap when I bend it. There basically is no treatment but am I cleared to lift weights from my doctor. It is a self limiting thing, if u can take the pain then you can do whatever. I played my entire high school football career with it and it only gave me a little trouble. When I hit parallel on squats with high weight my knees buckle in a bit. I have been working on it lately.

Protective gear isn't allowed, just a belt.
I'll check out that site, thx.

Hey sup bro. I also perform the powerclean in competition(i suck at it but hey what can I do). I assume that your gonna be lifting in high school competition b/c if you aren't then it's gotta be the olympics so I figured you should check out a website that helped me with assistance lifts for cleans.

http://www.exrx.net/Lists/PowerExercises.html

Top Bottom