Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

post workout stretching {please read!}

junglist

I have been stretching regularly for about 6 weeks now, 3 times a week for 20 minutes to increase flexibility (for breakdancing) excluding pre-workout stretching.

now my question is in regards to stretching at the gym: I usually stretch all muscle groups evenly for about 10-15 minutes after my cardio warmup before hitting the iron. Recently, my girlfriend (a licensed practical massage therapist) suggested post-workout stretching to further increase flexibility in the muscle groups worked during my routine. She says that it will decrease mucles soreness due to the release of toxins and lactic acid built up in the muscle during the routine. (Two workouts since, no serious soreness, and I know ive been busting my balls in the gym with my new partner...)

I am wondering what other benefits come from post-workout stretching? We have been discussing how muscle develops within the body, and im thinking that by stretching well after a workout will create a more compact/dense muscle fiber buildup vs the bulky spacing of muscle fiber if you dont stretch. any comments? My girl told me that basically, you will be stronger over bigger, density over size this way. I would really like to beleive it, im coming up on a cycle soon and if I could stay at 190lbs but add 10lbs of muscle man would I be hard...

thanks all-
junglist

I'd be interested to hear if anyone has anything concrete to say about this.

Also...why can't my girlfriend be a massage therapist?:(

junglist said:

I am wondering what other benefits come from post-workout stretching? We have been discussing how muscle develops within the body, and im thinking that by stretching well after a workout will create a more compact/dense muscle fiber buildup vs the bulky spacing of muscle fiber if you dont stretch. any comments? My girl told me that basically, you will be stronger over bigger, density over size this way. I would really like to beleive it, im coming up on a cycle soon and if I could stay at 190lbs but add 10lbs of muscle man would I be hard...

thanks all-
junglist

it will increase the resting length, of the muscle to a degree. if you are familiar with the sliding filament theory you can see how the muscle sits at rest, if the connective tissue is tight and is pulling the fibers short then they are in a slightly contracted state, stretching will increase the flexibility of the CT and the muscle so it has a more normal resting point. will you look thin and spindly, no, but the possibility of more density could be a possibility since you are not tight and inflexible, ie walking around with an excessive amount of tone in the muscle.

bump! good info so far fellas.

I was thinking about the flushing of acids away from the muscle that occur during a good stretch; do these acids aid in the tearing down of the muscle (and subsequent buildup) or serve any other purposes?

junglist

Lactic acid is a byproduct of Glycolosis, It is uncertain whether this affects the site of production. But I highly doubt the concentration of lactic acid would be a precursor to growth. More likely the addition of lactic acid is provide so the golgi spindle will have a chemical signal to reduce load and tension on the working muscle. Just my educated thought.

Lord_Suston said:
More likely the addition of lactic acid is provide so the golgi spindle will have a chemical signal to reduce load and tension on the working muscle. Just my educated thought.

im curious, how would the GTO or the muscle spindles inhibit firing? you mean through slight swelling due to the buildup? i was under the impression that those 2 functioned for protection from rate/ degree of stretch. slight swelling may be enough to trigger the stretch reflex but, pain receptors actually increase tension in a muscle as a protective means. the pain receptors will inhibit firing of the agonist and cause synergists to take over though.

I've read that stretching before your workout will actually decrease your strength. Tighter muscles seem to be stronger (supposedly). However, I still do alot of stretching before each exercise on leg day, cause its way to easy to pull a hamstring.

And stretching after your workout might help you increase muscle size. A longer muscle is a bigger muscle.

Top Bottom