Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Possitive Lifting V.S. Negative Lifting.

mm107

High End Bro
Platinum
Wondering if it really makes a difference? Im making up a routine that goes into sveral weeks of planning, and i would like to throw some negative workouts in there If they really do something. So anyone have good results? Ive heard many mixed things in the mags so im asking the pros :chomp:

I wouldn't do it. The magazines don't know what the hell they're talking about half the time, so don't listen to them. The eccentric/negative/pliometric portion of a lift is what really causes muscle growth, though, due to the damaging of the muscle tissue that occurs.

Many, such as yourself, will take what I just said and exaggerate it, though. Don't do that! Do a slow, controlled negative (2-3 seconds on the way down) on an exercise. Don't try to destroy the muscle so it builds more. You'll end up extremely sore and it'll just hinder progress with nominal results, if anything extra.

When doing the concentric/positive/miometric phase of a lift, explode through it. Don't do it slow. Do it as fast as you can, while maintaing good form. Learn to accelerate the bar through the range of motion steadily. This will obviously be impossible as you work near maximal weights, but do what you can to keep your CNS conditioned to explosive force development, which will lead to greater force output, which will help you break through plateaus in lifts, which will allow you more progressive loading which, finally, will lead you to more size.

I've been doing Negatives with alot of my Chest workouts in the past, I usually dedicate 1 or 2 chest days a month to extremely high weight and Negatives, Now when I do negatives it's way more than I can put up anytime but I can handle it on the way down.. I have good form and usually tak 3-4 sec on the decent and then my spotter picks it up for me for the most part..

Is this a good thing or not?

I dont think that pure negative reps are something that regular bodybuilders should try. By all means, emphasise the neagtive by lowering the weight slowly. I often like to get a spotter to lift the weight after I've repped out and can't move it, and then I lower it again over the space of about 10 seconds - very intense. (intense enough!)

I only use negatives at the end of my last set of each exercise and only for certain exercises [mostly bench press and any sort of bicep curls] and have always gotten a mad burn and good results. I think the key is to be smart about it and don't overdo it. Train smarter, not harder.

Negatives are also good when you have a tendinitis

n8ive_stylez said:
I've been doing Negatives with alot of my Chest workouts in the past, I usually dedicate 1 or 2 chest days a month to extremely high weight and Negatives, Now when I do negatives it's way more than I can put up anytime but I can handle it on the way down.. I have good form and usually tak 3-4 sec on the decent and then my spotter picks it up for me for the most part..

Is this a good thing or not?
If the weight is so heavy that u need a spotter for the concentric motion, that's called "forced rep" negatives. It is an actual training method that I do once in a great while, but not 2x a month.

Top Bottom