Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Plz critique my routine

AI03

MONDAY - Back/Biceps

Deadlifts - 3x8
Barbell Rows - 3x8
Dumbell Hammer curls - 3x8

WEDNESDAY - Chest/Triceps

Flat Barbell Bench Press - 3x8
Close grip bench - 3x8

FRIDAY - Legs/Shoulders

Barbell Squats - 3x8
Stiff Legged Dead lifts - 3x8
Miltary Press - 3x8

I am a beginner and have worked out this routine by tweaking Frankie's 5x5 and another routine and combining them. However, I put this on the board elsewhere, and there was a suggestion of undertraining. Is this a valid point?
Bear in mind that I am only starting out, and lifting heavy weights is not a practice I'm accustomed to.

Also, are those exercises going to be sufficient in developing all my major muscles? For instance, what else can i add?

I don't want to do a 4 day split due to timing factors. I would rather stick with Mon, Wed, and Friday for training.

My only real suggestion is to add another chest exercise like incline dumbells. That way you can keep your chest more balanced. Otherwise this is a pretty good three day basic routine. As you become more experienced you may well want to add more exercises. For now you have the big three and a couple of auxillary lifts. As this routine progresses try adding pullups for you back and maybe some of the more isolation exercises.

Cheers,
Scotsman

Cheers mate. I will consider that. I am going to stick to this for a month at least and guage my progress.

After that period, I may add more exercises.

For Chest day, will adding Chins be ok rather than adding another bench exercise?

I think Scotsman suggested inclines to put some emphasis on you upper chest. All too often, beginners spend too much time on just flat bench which causes overdevelopment of your lower pec region in relation to you upper. End result is a bottom heavy looking chest or what some refer to as tear drops. Try to keep both your upper and lower chest balanced. The only way to do this is to hit inclines, whether it be with Db's or Bb's. Happy lifting.

AI03 said:
Cheers mate. I will consider that. I am going to stick to this for a month at least and guage my progress.

After that period, I may add more exercises.

For Chest day, will adding Chins be ok rather than adding another bench exercise?

You can add chins in on chest day if you like. My reason for suggesting inclines is just to keep balance in the chest.

Cheers,
Scotsman

That's great. I will add inclines. When doing Incline presses, how inclined is the bench meant to be? Will creating any sort of angle basically work the upper chest?

Try to keep the incline at about 30 degrees. Once you start to bring the incline up like 45 degrees or more, you shift alot more of the emphasis onto your delts. The higher the incline the more delt recruitment and it becomes more of a shoulder workout.

Thanks. will raising the bench by a couple of notches have the desired effect?
I'm assuming that technique remains the same, lowering weight to bottom of chest?

yes and no. Again, try not to raise the bench too high...but a couple notches should be alright. Not sure of how many notches you have on your bench though...remember just to stay at about 30degrees. When lowering the weight during your rep, you should not be coming down to the lower chest. I personally press up from the upper portion of my chest...exact placement will be for you to figure out. Whatever feels like you're gettin the best stretch in your upper pec region. I see some people exaggerate the motion and practically press from the neck (which I feel just puts more emphasis on your anterior delts), but just above your pecs should be just fine.

AI03 said:
MONDAY - Back/Biceps

Deadlifts - 3x8
Barbell Rows - 3x8
Dumbell Hammer curls - 3x8

WEDNESDAY - Chest/Triceps

Flat Barbell Bench Press - 3x8
Close grip bench - 3x8

FRIDAY - Legs/Shoulders

Barbell Squats - 3x8
Stiff Legged Dead lifts - 3x8
Miltary Press - 3x8

I am a beginner and have worked out this routine by tweaking Frankie's 5x5 and another routine and combining them. However, I put this on the board elsewhere, and there was a suggestion of undertraining. Is this a valid point?
Bear in mind that I am only starting out, and lifting heavy weights is not a practice I'm accustomed to.

Also, are those exercises going to be sufficient in developing all my major muscles? For instance, what else can i add?

I don't want to do a 4 day split due to timing factors. I would rather stick with Mon, Wed, and Friday for training.

Id say its undertraining. When I started I was 105lbs of bone and I did a minimum of 12 sets for small muscles and 15 for legs and back. It wasnt a matter of lifting heavy at the time, just getting the work in and constantly trying to progress. It didnt take me long to rack all the machines at around 145-150lbs training this way. I still use these basic principles in my routines today but with alot more volume on the compound lifts. For me that routine would definately be undertraining and the only genetics I have is good shape once the muscle is developed. I grow very slow, and the reason for my strength is my drive and work over the years, not genetic. Id also train 5 days a week, but it all depends on what youre looking to achieve and how much it means to you. Best of luck with your training!

Top Bottom