Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

PLEASE HELP! (MODS). HUGE strength/size imbalance!

Fortes

After about 9 months of training heavy squats and romanian/regular deads, my left leg is drastically smaller and less developed than my right leg. My right leg has all kinds of striations up and down it and is notably more defined and bigger than my left. I'd say my right leg is a full 2 inches larger than my left. WHAT CAN I DO? I want to play football so bad, but last time I tried sprinting, I was good for three weeks and then I pulled my left hamstring BAD. Here's what I've thought up so far . . .

I thought of doing lunges, 5X5 heavy for my left leg only on leg days (after squats).

I thought of doing single leg squats, again for the left leg only.

I tried doing single leg hack squats for my left leg only. Didn't do jack.

Please help, and thanks in advance!

Well bro, I've had the same problem and this is what folks have told me:

DON'T do work on one side of your bod but not the other--- it's not a physiologically sound thing to do.

Instead, DO focus on unilateral movements...using the weak side always for the first sets, then duplicate exactly with the opposite side. This way you will work the weak side fully to fatigue to stimulate growth, then do equal work on the other side, which will be less fatiguing and stimulate less growth because that side is stronger.

It sounds like you're not allowing enough time to see results. It takes awhile to add 2 inches to a leg, ya know? I had quite noticable upper body asymmetries until Imnotdutch gave me similar tips and after about 2 1/2 months doing this CONSISTENTLY I'm evening up a lot.

Fortes-
Whatsup bro?> My right leg is very ripped compared to my left leg and I am left handed!! I have never known what the problem is to be honest...

What I would suggest is adding unilateral leg extensions to your routine. For example try starting off with 3 sets of leg extensions with your smaller undeveloped leg and then move onto heavy bb squats. That way youll be prefatiguing your weaker leg and hopefully pushing for more growth on that side. Its tough bringing up a certain side of the body. I have always had a more peaked right biceps compared to my left and there's nothing I can really do I have never focused on one more then the other.

Good luck!!
:D:D

Thanks brethren.

Let me see if I get this. OTC booty, you're saying to do a single-leg type of lift with my left (weaker leg) first, and then do the same exact lift, weight and reps with my right leg. So the training effect would basically be maintaining my right leg's current size/mass, and letting my left leg catch up.

MonStar, if I understand your suggestion correctly, I should start my workout out with a unilateral (single-leg) lift for my left leg, and then jump to a compound, both legs movement like squats.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys.

I think I've figured my problem out: when I squat, it seems that my right leg just naturally bears more of the load, and although I position my feet symmetrically at about shoulder width, somehow my left leg cheats its way out of overload! Maybe I'll try leaning to the left a little when I squat . . . or maybe I have scholiosis or something?

OTCbooty- (I feel funny writing that), great advice. I'd really never advise anybody to increase the volume for one side of their body by doing single-limb movements.

This can create all sorts of imbalances; the cure is worse than the disease. Yes, take her advice; do unilateral movements starting on the smaller side. (You'll be hitting it when you're more rested).

And, of course, focus on the compounds. When doing squats, keep your legs an equal distance apart, with a balanced stance. Don't cheat to one side while raising yourself, either.

Last edited:
Fortes, that's exactly what I was saying. MonStar says exactly the opposite.

It appears that MonStar did not approve of whatever Belial wrote in resonse to his post. I surely hope that whatever you wrote Belial was extremely denegrating, offensive, and devoid of constructive content for it to have been edited. Otherwise, the capabilities of a moderator are being abused.

I'm still pretty new to training, but the practical reason that I would disagree with MonStar's advice is this: if you pre-fatigue the already weaker leg, then turn around and do squats, you're going to have even less strength with the weaker leg and even more strength than usual with the other....which means even more form error like you mentioned. If you want to use that sort of pre-fatiguing method, I'd suggest you go LIGHTER with squats and higher reps...stopping when your form gets crappy. (I call that 'corkscrewing,' and it will only add to the size imbalance--You don't have scoliosis)

Oh, and Belial, I wish I'd picked a different nic, but I was stumped. Most people just call me OTC.

Last edited:
No, I told him he shouldnt work legs.

OTC....I can work with that. Stands for what? :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Monstar, this is a EXCELLENT use of power. I am saying thing that you have to, and should edit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom