Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Please critique my workout routine (all suggestions welcome!)

Aaron02

So far this is what I've put together..

Monday: Chest/Back

Bench Press
Cable Row
Military Press
Lateral Pulldown
Dumbbell Press
HammerStrength Pulldown (not sure how to explain that one)

Wednesday: Legs

Squats
Deadlifts
Calf Raises
Leg Curls
Leg Extensions
Lunges

Friday: Arms

Barbell Curl
Lying EZ-Bar Tricep Extension
Standing/Incline Dumbbell Curl
Seated Concentration Curl
Shoulder Presses

Tues/Thurs: Cardio
Sat/Sun: REST

I’ve been lifting for over a year now with minimal gains, I think because I’ve been somewhat uneducated and have been counterproductive. Right now I’m 5’11” 155 lbs and would like to put on some lean mass. Please let me know how I can tweak my routine to see optimal gains. All suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,

Aaron

anything someone tells you with regards to this routine can and probably will be opinion. since you know the basic exercises, you can formulate a program based on the time you have and your ability to recover. back doesnt need its own day, nor do legs or any other bodypart, opinion...yes, fact....yes. its all individual. there are some truths to working out, but many you formulate for yourself based on how you respond to training.

your food intake will dicate your growth, training is just the stimulus. you could be doing half of that workout and if your food intake is right, you will grow.

i noticed you put some compound movements, ie dbell presses in your "arms" day. just keep in mind, that these are primarily movements that work other areas besides your arms, though at this stage you may feel that your arms get the biggest workout, its ok, most people starting out do.

my suggestion is to hit the search engine. (im not copping out on you) there are tons of routines there that you can check out and see if you a)have the time to incorporate, b) have the energy to tackle and c) will allow you to recover fully before you are using that bodypart again.

Tweeked your routine a bit...

Monday: Chest/Shoulders/Tris
Bench Press/WeightedDips
Military Press
Tricep extensions

Wednesday: Legs
Squats/Leg Press
Stiff Leg Deadlifts
Calf Raises

Friday: Back/Bis
Bentover Rows
Weighted Pull Ups
Barbell Curl

Tues/Thurs: Cardio (minimal while bulking)

Sat/Sun: REST

Less Is More! Your training sessions should last no more than 1 hour. After 45 minutes of intense exercise, your testosterone and growth hormone levels begin to decrease in favor of the catabolic hormone cortisol – which is responsible for breaking down muscle tissue for energy. To combat this catabolic state keep your training sessions down to 45–60 minutes. You should work out somewhere between 2 and 4 times per week. As a general rule you are ready for your next work out when the muscle soreness from your previous work is completely gone.

Train brief but heavy! Your goal is to stimulate as many muscle fibers as possible in a 45 to 60 minute work out. Heavy training with low reps puts more demand on your muscles stimulating maximum growth. Your training should consist mainly of compound movements (exercises requiring use of multiple muscle groups).

Get plenty of rest! Your muscles do not grow in the gym! Weight training is merely the stimulus which causes your muscles to respond by growing bigger and stronger. This takes time. Make sure your body gets plenty of down-time between work outs. Don’t be tempted to over train; wait until your muscles are fully recovered from your last work out before you go hammer them again. Improper diet and over training are the two major reasons why the average gym attendee remains average.

Hope this helps!

Yes, diet is key. Make sure you are eating enough & getting enough protein & 'clean' food (doesn't mean you can stuff your face with junk).

I think Complete Muscle's program looks good. How many sets do you typically do of each exercise? How many reps? & how's your form? Messed up form can, at best, make you not work the muscle you're trying to work, and at worst, injure you. You are right in that it is easy to be counterproductive (over training, etc.).

Are you properly warming-up before each session? Stretching between sets or at least at the end of your session?

I usually do 3 sets of 10.. the third set until failure. Stretching is also something I should probably devote more time do. I DO stretch, but I kind of half-ass it I think.

3 sets of 10 is good, but each set should be pretty much to failure (the last rep being the last you can possibly get out with good form). You can also pyramid or reverse pyramid - don't worry about doing "10 reps" every set, worry about fatiguing the muscle. I.e. if you plan to do 10, but you get to rep #10 & get do a few more - do a few more till you can't do anymore! Then the next set, you need *more weight* (if you did more than 11). If the next set, with more weight, you can only get to 8 or 10, that's ok too.

You can also try mixing moderate & heavy weeks... week 1, chest would be heavy (really go to failure, lower rep range [6-8 on some sets], maybe drop sets, etc.) & moderate shoulders & tris -then swap that for the next week.

Stretching - resting 60 seconds between sets is ideal, I use that time to stretch (as well as getting a drink, change weight if needed, maybe walk around, etc.) Stretches should be HELD a MINIMUM of 15 - 30 seconds. This helps disperse the lactic acid so you'll be less sore - I've also read of studies that show it can help increase strength. More flexibility also helps reduce your risk of injury. Just hold, don't bounce (this is especially tempting with calf stretches or hamstrings, but HOLD & ease into it - don't bounce).

Complete muscle's routin e was almost spot on IMO, except i think both high and low reps should be done.

also, i think you should do both DB press and weighted dips and both squats and leg press.

IMO do 2 sets for each exercise.

I personally stretch after training and not during.

Gladiola, can you sort me out with the studies that show it helps muscle strength please. I've always been under the impression that stretching between sets weakens the muscle. Thanks :)

Top Bottom