Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

PL Training and Strongman Training - Mutually Exclusive?

bblazer

Banned
Just for conversation sake, I was wondering if PL training and strongman training are mutually exclusive or if one can do both.

Obviously I understand that there needs to be specialized event training for strongman, but at the core (pardon the pun) it seems like there is a lot of synergy between the two and on the surface it would appear that one could participate in both.

B-

Strongman requies athleticism as well as functional brute strength. Brian siders competed in WSM this year and he SUCKED! I don't even think he got all the lifts on the keg squat which was pretty sad considering his background. There is alot of trade off though. Most strongmen have a powerlifting type routine with oly stuff in there for explosiveness.

That was kind of the answer I expected.

My trainer was a PLer until college, then went strongman because (I assume) of his athleticism. Plus I think he is a little goofy in the head too.

Thanks!

B-

I consider myself a bodybuilder. I train using a PL routine most of the year. I have competed in a few push/pulls(WABDL) and one full meet(APF). I will never step on stage in a jock strap and pose for a bunch of very weird men. My goals are strength, size, appearance in that order. Sometimes I switch the size with the appearance, but strength is always primary. What does all this nonsense mean? Nothing really I just felt like sharing :D

I guess what I was really trying to say was.... If I had access to Strong Man implements I would definitely have an event day a few times a month at least. It seems like it would be fun and a great form of conditioning.

I consider myself a bodybuilder. I train using a PL routine most of the year. I have competed in a few push/pulls(WABDL) and one full meet(APF). I will never step on stage in a jock strap and pose for a bunch of very weird men. My goals are strength, size, appearance in that order. Sometimes I switch the size with the appearance, but strength is always primary. What does all this nonsense mean? Nothing really I just felt like sharing :D

I guess what I was really trying to say was.... If I had access to Strong Man implements I would definitely have an event day a few times a month at least. It seems like it would be fun and a great form of conditioning.
That is my exact outlook on training. I have actually changed my routine alittle and may have lost a little size because of it, but I am still getting stronger so it doesnt matter to me.

I have always felt that it is better to be strong than look strong.

That said, I still see at least some basis to the thought that a PLer could make a transition to Strongman if they possess a certain degree of athleticism.

My trainer did, and he placed in the top 10 at Worlds this last year. When I asked him about it he told me that big fat PLers never get the girls, but for some reason log pressing and tire flipping really turned them on. Like I said I think he may be a little goofy from bursting some blood vessels in his brain while straining under the heavy stuff.

B-

That's a bit unfair on Brian. Technique counts for a lot in strongman and Brian didn't have the expereinces to allow him to develop technique. Keg squat is hardly the same as free bar squatting!

Strongman requies athleticism as well as functional brute strength. Brian siders competed in WSM this year and he SUCKED! I don't even think he got all the lifts on the keg squat which was pretty sad considering his background. There is alot of trade off though. Most strongmen have a powerlifting type routine with oly stuff in there for explosiveness.

I think you're right. A PLer would have built the base on which to expand upon with Strongman. The heavy basics + event training = strongman. Without a doubt conditioning factors Into that equation, but I would almost consider that a part of the event training.

That's a bit unfair on Brian. Technique counts for a lot in strongman and Brian didn't have the expereinces to allow him to develop technique. Keg squat is hardly the same as free bar squatting!

Still, a fixed squat apparatus should be alot easier then a free bar. It's kinda like squatting in a smith machine, you don't have to worry about controlling another axis of movement.

I'd just like to ask the question: What exactly is the definition of athleticism? I hear a lot of talk about athleticism in college basketball, and there is a clear dividing line between skill (like a 3 pt shooter) and one's strength, endurance, and speed, although I would still say the word is loosely thrown around in that context. For example speed and agility will give a great shooter a much better opportunity to use his finesse, and he may in fact be as strong as the 'athletic' guy who is just putting in a hard days work in the post.

So a powerlifter may not be very fast or have a high endurance, but if 'athletic' is taken to be the some of these factors then his prominent strength has to make him at least fairly athletic?

I really have no idea, and I'm not trying to pick a fight with you B, but I think athleticism should be defined and for the sake of discussion and I'd like to hear your thoughts as well.

Top Bottom