Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Personal Trainer Noob, now what?

icecom3

I received my personal trainer exam about 6 months ago, and I am trying to determine how to get started doing this on the side. This may come as a surprise, but even though I studied and passed the exam, I feel like I really have no idea where to start, or how to handle my first client. I have a medical background, and used to conduct fitness training in the military, I hope this will help me along the way. I imagine like most fields of study, my giant PT prep manual only opens the mind. I am sure by doing, I will learn, and feel confident. Until then, I am looking for advise.

Perhaps some of you are trainers, know a trainer, or want to be a trainer, and can help answer my questions.

Do trainers have creative freedom on how they want to design routines or is this micromanaged by gyms and other employers?

Can a trainer skip all the tests and measures (mainly the body fat tests)? I would imagine many people are embarrassed about doing those tests, and wonder if they are really necessary.

What minimum tests and measures should be used with most clients (if any)?

Can anyone share the forms they use for waivers, questionnaires, and other liability paperwork?

Also, please share any good trainer apps available to help create fitness programs and/or manage clients.

Step by step tutorials for noobs welcome :)

Thanks in advance!

i would find a smaller gym and go in and talk to the owner. bring a resume with you. your pay will be poor at first but that is a good first step, from there you can work your way up. some of the PT's at my gym have been around a while and do decently, and there are others that come and go cause they just do not do well at it. PT'ing is about selling too, you gotta sell to the person that it is in their best interest to pay $$$$ to come back to you again.

My advice will be regarding the work with the client - don't have a pre-determined routine. Find the ideal solution for every client, because we are all different, and different things will work for everyone. Besides, such an individual approach buys in many customers, because admit it - you would not like to get a one-fits-all solution from the trainer you pay.

Most people don't realize that most PT training certification courses are a joke. Some are only a weekend course. A lot of personal trainers are in your exact situation.

Luckily, big franchise gyms know this and will help you every step of the way. When you start, you will shadow a well established personal trainer for a few weeks and learn all the ins and outs. The gym provides all liability forms/wavers and has sample workout programs you can use for your clients when you are just starting out.

Remember that most people who hire a PT have never exercised before and are just looking for someone to show them the basics.

Maybe you could hire a trainer for yourself and just keep notes of what they are doing/teaching. I think it is best to learn by example.

Thanks all.

@ Muskate, I agree, but I feel the same about my EMT and medical assisting training as well. I think the real training starts on the job with most things.

@Masonic - I was thinking about doing this very thing. It's an opportunity to ask questions and pick their brain. I would like to shadow a PT at a local gym is well and an trying to work something out.

What I have going against me is I am not much of a used car salesman. My last couple experiences signing up at gyms were annoying, some PT dude with a belly and bad breath trying to sell me packages. However, since my goal is to only do this on the side, I am hoping to slowing get clients through word of mouth. However I think I would be good at reselling sessions to existing clients.

Most people don't realize that most PT training certification courses are a joke. Some are only a weekend course. A lot of personal trainers are in your exact situation.

Luckily, big franchise gyms know this and will help you every step of the way. When you start, you will shadow a well established personal trainer for a few weeks and learn all the ins and outs. The gym provides all liability forms/wavers and has sample workout programs you can use for your clients when you are just starting out.

Remember that most people who hire a PT have never exercised before and are just looking for someone to show them the basics.

This. A proper course should have helped you with info on the how and why as well as the actual physical instruction.

Top Bottom