Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Pavel Tsatsouline and not maxing

ZZuluZ

I was curious as to what you guys thought of Pavel's theories concerning strength training. The basic premise (as I understand it; not having read any of his books yet, unfortunately) is training DAILY, using submaximal weights in a wave like fashion.

Also, do you think it's possible to (significantly) increase your 1RM without maxing? By use submaximal weights, speed work... assistance work? I ask because I workout at home and max squats are becoming sorta dangerous alone.

Thx guys...

-Zulu

just buy a power rack......we are making one at the moment.

as for pavel his power to the people is a maximum of 5 days a week with two compound movements.

each movement is done two sets of 5. the second set being 90% of the first.

please do not buy the book power to the people.....i feel its not worth the money......sure its a good book, but i had read most of his information else where. a lot of info can be picked up from www.dragondoor.com

the fact the elitefitness sell it in their book section is weird.
as for the program itself......i used it straight after a two months of well......overtraining..so the low volume worked well for me.

i found it had to get into the groove on 2 sets

the evil russian

Not sure about the sub maximal weights thing, but if you goto Testosterone Magazine www.t-mag.com and search for Pavel, they ahve quite a few interviews with the man.

He has some interesting things to say about 'squeezing' the bar etc for more contraction and better lifts, something Tate'y preaches.

endpoint,

it is possible to gain on your 1 rep mkax by doing speed work, other training, but you probably won't gain strenght as fast by not going upwards of 90& of a 1rep max. For the squat ME days, why don't you start trying triples of barbell hack squats, see t-mag and a John Davies leg training article. Also try some band stuff. Two big avg or strong bands or even 3 or more you can safely use 500+ and more for your good mornings, also pull through heavy sets of 3 wwork well with the bands. You will have to get creative, 1-legged band good mornings work exceptionally well!

there are three diferent components in westside:

repetition method lifting submaximal weight a few times (the rep ranges vary to the exercise.)

dynamic effort: about the 50%-70% range......using explosive speed/effort

maximum effort: 100% (1 rep max) you build up to a 1 rep max.

these three components combine together.

Top Bottom