Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

overhead lockouts vs. military presses

Cubanito17

Hey guys i was wondering something one of my weak points are my shoulders. Now when I do military presses say for a triple I can do 135X3. When I do overhead lockouts(seated) I can do 180X3. How can I improve my shoulders more I mean i guess it's not the tris that are weak it's really the shoulders and I've done push presses on and off for a good 8 weeks now and I can't go past 175X3 on those. So what other good shoulder workouts are there. I've tried cuban rotations they hurt the delts to much and I was only using the olympic bar. I don't think my delts are all that weak, I do delt raises lying on an incline facing forward so I hit the rear delts with 20lb DB'sX8. What else besides military,bradford presses, seated DB shoulder presses, cuban rotations is there. And i know it's not my upper back b/c I do DB rowing bent over with 90lb DBX 6.

Front, side and back raises-- They may help if you have weaknesses in those areas.

Maybe the problem is that you're simply doing too much shoulder work. Many people don't do any direct shoulder work at all as they get hit heavy when benching, rowing, and almost anything else.

BTW, Cuban rotations are a good exercise. Use less weight. It's normal that an olympic bar is too heavy for you-- it's a difficult movement.

----------------

I don't mean to disrupt your thread but this has lead me to a few questions of my own:

I can Military Press about 110.
I can do Dumbell rows with 80*6

These aren't a lot lower than your lifts.....why is it I only bench like 170??

-Zulu

I just started doing LIGHT hammer strength presses for my delts. I used to blast military presses like you would not believe. But since i cut out all overhead pressing my bench has gone up over 100lbs. I do mainily raises. I try to get stronger on those. Mainly side and rear delts. But recently been doing militiary on the hammer strength. Beniftits of having th ebest gym in th estate of florida. I have excess to any and every piece of equipment none. Except monolift. I figure at least the machine will fill my delts with blood and i wont have to stabilize any weight right now. I am really scared of getting hurt again. One more time like last sept i will hang it up for awhile. So i just wanna be safe. And light militarys is my way of staying that way.

I figure like this your pressing for speed, max effort. You shoulders (fronts anyway) are getting major work on them. Any more heavy and your overtrainied.

ZZuluZ thanks I do raises from rear, sides, and front 2X6 once a week. now for the too much direct shoulder work I don't think i'm doing too much, I think i'm not doing a variation and it's messing me up see for the time i'm competing in high school meets I have to do direct shoulder work like overhead presses due to i have to clean&jerk.
Jay I do raises after april 10 i'll quit doing overhead presses and see if my bench shoots up like yours did. Like you mentioned to me once that you want me and the world to bench over 500lbs I'll get there one day and with the help of everyone on this board.

Jay your right one day I will be there hopefully sometime within the next 3 or 4 years. IRBD 300 does sound good and I'd like to be there pausing not touch n go, but either way bro 500 sounds better. :D

Cubanito17: If you want to increase your overhead pressing movement strength....then do overhead pressing movements. Do not put a lot of stock in laterals...they are not an overhead pressing movement. If you must do them....do them lightly and very low volume too.

If you want to increase your flat bench, slack off of the shoulder pressing. If you want to increase your overhead pressing strength...slack off your flat pressing. It is a must. Going from working on flat pressing movements to standing overhead pressing movements was a big change for me...big...but I am working on it.

B True

Out of curiosity jay, how long did it take you to get to a 600 bench? My guess is a lot more than 3-4 years....

No offence Cubanito, but I think it takes al ot more time then 3 years to hit a 500 pound bench. If you can even get there at all. At 170 pounds, I hardly see how it's possible with steriods.

JMHO man, Cheers,

-Zulu

Hey ZZuluZ first of all dude right now i'm 180 and gaining weight and it is possible to get to 500lb bench in 3-4 years if all i do is revolve around my training. I think anyone on here will agree with me and im trying to gain more weight and then i'll cut down when i go to compete. I'll train at around 200 or so then drop down and when i go for the teen record in 165 i'll get down to that slowly

Top Bottom