Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
lol. good job bro way to keep a log. How did the 5x5 work for you? Im in week 5 of it on Monday and its going good so far, but im looking for a hypertrophy program after it, like HST, or I might just deload and run it again. What do you think

lol. good job bro way to keep a log. How did the 5x5 work for you? Im in week 5 of it on Monday and its going good so far, but im looking for a hypertrophy program after it, like HST, or I might just deload and run it again. What do you think

Thanks man. When I did the 5x5 Single factor, it worked really well. In fact, so well that I thought I didn't ever need to change a thing about it. I literally kept going for a year or so lol. I would stall then retry, over and over. My gains started diminishing over time. First time I ran it I managed 9 weeks of PR's. After the year, I became so stale of the program, I couldn't gain anything. By the time I finished, I could squat 315x3 ATG (it's the only lift I can remember accurately). I believe that's pretty good being that when I started I managed 225x1 which wasn't even ATG. Only thing I wish I did different was add some kind of variety every now and then. I then switched to the Dual Factor 5x5, or the advanced version, and my lifts sky rocketed. After I finished just 4 weeks, my lifts were:

ATG Squat - 305 x 5x5 or 330 x 1x6
Bench - 220 x 5x5 or 235 x 1x5
Row - 185 x 5x5 or 205 x 1x5
Press - 145 x 5x5 or 155 x 1x5
Deadlift - 365 x 5x5 or 405 x 1x5

After a deload and a switch to 3x3/1x3:

ATG Squat - 365 x 1x3
Bench - 245 x 1x4
Row - can't remember..but I managed 10 full range chins @250lbs bw.
Press - 155 x 1x7
Deadlift - 445 x 1x1

Anyway you asked what I think about you either staying with the 5x5 or switch to a hypertrophy program like HST. Depends on your goals. I have heard Dogg Crapp is amazing at hypertrophy. I have never done either DC or HST, so I can't say from personal experience, just what others have told me. Personally, I really enjoy things like 5x10 for hypertrophy..Very simple with lots of volume.

5x5 is not the greatest hypertrophy program if that's what you're looking for. It's good at trying to get the best of both strength/hypertrophy worlds. If you like the progress, why change it? You could tweak it a little to keep it interesting, but if you like the gains you've made from it, there's really no point in changing it. You also have to remember it's a cookie cutter. Madcow2 stressed that. He suggested you do it exactly how it states 1-2x before you start changing anything. That's where I get the 5x10 for hypertrophy or 5x3 for strength from. They are basically the same thing as 5x5 except for: the rep ranges and the last two sets on Friday.

I think you should pick the routine that looks the most appealing to you. You mentioned HST so you must be interested in it. Why not try it out after your 5x5? Give it a good couple of months. If you dislike it, go back to 5x5. After that 5x5, try DC or something. Just don't let your routine go stale on you.

I like the 5/3/1 with high volume assistance work for hypertrophy. Train the main lifts like a powerlifter and everything else like a bodybuilder. The best of both worlds :)

lol! I can't believe I didn't mention the routine I'm currently doing. Yeah gladiator, the 5/3/1 is something else you might want to look into. I just finished the first week and it's already great. You look forward to each specific workout, especially with the 3rd set on the main lift..you're basically trying to make a rep PR every workout.

Day 1
Week 2

Press
95 x 1x3
105 x 1x3
115 x 1x8
70 x 5x10

Chins
5, 5, 5, 5, 5

Comments: Stress is killing my sleep...4yr relationship breakup, starting college again, etc...

Day 1
Week 2

Press
95 x 1x3
105 x 1x3
115 x 1x8
70 x 5x10

Chins
5, 5, 5, 5, 5

Comments: Stress is killing my sleep...4yr relationship breakup, starting college again, etc...

4y relationship break? Fuck that, you were 15 when you started lol! Now you will live the good life, i wouldn't have a serious relationship while on college and so young if i could turn back time ;)

Thanks man. When I did the 5x5 Single factor, it worked really well. In fact, so well that I thought I didn't ever need to change a thing about it. I literally kept going for a year or so lol. I would stall then retry, over and over. My gains started diminishing over time. First time I ran it I managed 9 weeks of PR's. After the year, I became so stale of the program, I couldn't gain anything. By the time I finished, I could squat 315x3 ATG (it's the only lift I can remember accurately). I believe that's pretty good being that when I started I managed 225x1 which wasn't even ATG. Only thing I wish I did different was add some kind of variety every now and then. I then switched to the Dual Factor 5x5, or the advanced version, and my lifts sky rocketed. After I finished just 4 weeks, my lifts were:

ATG Squat - 305 x 5x5 or 330 x 1x6
Bench - 220 x 5x5 or 235 x 1x5
Row - 185 x 5x5 or 205 x 1x5
Press - 145 x 5x5 or 155 x 1x5
Deadlift - 365 x 5x5 or 405 x 1x5

After a deload and a switch to 3x3/1x3:

ATG Squat - 365 x 1x3
Bench - 245 x 1x4
Row - can't remember..but I managed 10 full range chins @250lbs bw.
Press - 155 x 1x7
Deadlift - 445 x 1x1

Anyway you asked what I think about you either staying with the 5x5 or switch to a hypertrophy program like HST. Depends on your goals. I have heard Dogg Crapp is amazing at hypertrophy. I have never done either DC or HST, so I can't say from personal experience, just what others have told me. Personally, I really enjoy things like 5x10 for hypertrophy..Very simple with lots of volume.

5x5 is not the greatest hypertrophy program if that's what you're looking for. It's good at trying to get the best of both strength/hypertrophy worlds. If you like the progress, why change it? You could tweak it a little to keep it interesting, but if you like the gains you've made from it, there's really no point in changing it. You also have to remember it's a cookie cutter. Madcow2 stressed that. He suggested you do it exactly how it states 1-2x before you start changing anything. That's where I get the 5x10 for hypertrophy or 5x3 for strength from. They are basically the same thing as 5x5 except for: the rep ranges and the last two sets on Friday.

I think you should pick the routine that looks the most appealing to you. You mentioned HST so you must be interested in it. Why not try it out after your 5x5? Give it a good couple of months. If you dislike it, go back to 5x5. After that 5x5, try DC or something. Just don't let your routine go stale on you.

Thanks for the response man. I want to try DC, HST and 5x10. One question, on the 5x10, is every set to failure? or is it ramped up like with the 5x5 but obviously a little less weight so you can hit 10 on the 5th set.

Oh and I wanna try the 5x3x1! lol i wanna do everything

4y relationship break? Fuck that, you were 15 when you started lol! Now you will live the good life, i wouldn't have a serious relationship while on college and so young if i could turn back time ;)

I know man. I had quite a few opportunities in highschool but turned them down for her, especially because we were both our firsts. Worst part is that I wasn't the one who ended it either. Yeah I'm just gonna worry about my studies for now with the occasional fling, definitely don't want to get into anything serious again for a while. I wouldn't care to turn back time since I'm already young, but I wouldn't mind stopping it and staying in college for the rest of my life ;)

@Gladiator - Yeah the 5x10 would be ramped with a little less weight. Or you could do the advanced version of 5x5 and just make everything a little less weight and 5x10 (not to failure, but they are straight sets)...you will want to be pretty conservative lol. I couldn't imagine doing 5x10 to failure every set on squats or deadlifts.

I think the 5/3/1 is great, attempt a PR every workout and it's very flexible. People have made some amazing progress on this program, but Wendler stresses you NEED to be conservative...ie. use 90% of your maxes and start from there.

Day 2
Week 2

Deadlift
225 x 1x3 (double overhand)
255 x 1x3 (double overhand)
290 x 1x10 (hook grip)
185 x 5x10 (double overhand)

GHR
3x5

Comments: Fanfuckintastic! No tension headache today due to constant trap/neck stretching :). I've decided to start using just the basic double overhand grip for everything except the 3rd set. I might start using it for that one too since my grip doesn't hold me back...yet. Also I added 25lbs to the 5x10. I think the weight was perfect, although they were still easier than the squats.. GHR's were great. Really gave each rep my all. I need to get used to them first before I start using higher reps.

I know man. I had quite a few opportunities in highschool but turned them down for her, especially because we were both our firsts. Worst part is that I wasn't the one who ended it either. Yeah I'm just gonna worry about my studies for now with the occasional fling, definitely don't want to get into anything serious again for a while. I wouldn't care to turn back time since I'm already young, but I wouldn't mind stopping it and staying in college for the rest of my life ;)

@Gladiator - Yeah the 5x10 would be ramped with a little less weight. Or you could do the advanced version of 5x5 and just make everything a little less weight and 5x10 (not to failure, but they are straight sets)...you will want to be pretty conservative lol. I couldn't imagine doing 5x10 to failure every set on squats or deadlifts.

I think the 5/3/1 is great, attempt a PR every workout and it's very flexible. People have made some amazing progress on this program, but Wendler stresses you NEED to be conservative...ie. use 90% of your maxes and start from there.

Oh so either ramp up like the 5x5 or pick the same weight and do it 5 times for 10 reps? I kinda like the ramping just because you can go heavier on the last set.

Ill look into the 5x3x1 for sure. Its either that, HST or 5x10. Well see!

Top Bottom