Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

One or Multiple Sets????(an old question, i know)

cAbo

which is better one or multiple sets (how many)?? for maximum muscle gain wtht overtraining???

That is a very vague question, and very difficult to answer without any more information.

All i can really say is that it depends.

It depends on how many exercises you are doing. Usually i'd suggest 2 per exercise, but not if you're doing 5 different exercises. The chaces are that 10 sets would be overtraining.

For large muscles do 3-4 different exercises with 2-3 sets each. For example, here's a chest and back routine to clarify my point:

back: Deadlifts - 2 sets
pull-ups/chins - 2-3 sets
some form of row - 2-3 sets

For back that is all you need.

Chest: Flat bench - 2 sets
Incline bench - 2 sets
Machine flyes or dips - 2 sets
(the use of Barbells or Dumbells is up to you)

Take all sets to failure.

Just because you read in flex magazine that the pro's do 4 sets per exercise with 4 different exercises doesn't mean you should. The pro's take excessively large amounts of drugs to enhance their recovery.

Do u actually get a good workout with doing so few sets? I have always been in the the higher number of sets. I just find my slef incapable of getting sore the next day unless i do atleast 12 sets. sometimes i do as many as 16 or 17. i realize everyone has different views on training and that different things work for different people.

I also think that people exaggerate ovetraining alot. If u eat right and get plenty of rest, i think u would be alright. Anyways, i guess everyone does it differently

Being sore the next day doesn't necessarily promote growth. Training properly promotes growth. doing 16-17 sets is not proper training. It is proper over-training.

Fewer sets, all taken to failure will cause more growth that 17 sets. You're right, it does depend upon the individual, but the chances are that you are not an individual that needs that much volume.

You grow when you rest. Why bother spending ages in the gym breaking yourself down when you can be at home eating, resting and building yourself back up? You'll soon reach dire straits.

Top Bottom