Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Are one armed dumbell rows as good as barbell rows...?

SofaGeorge

...for back development?

I ask because sometimes I like to analyze observations. I worked out at Gold's Venice for years... at "The Mecca" I don't think I ever saw a pro... or almost anyone... doing bent over barbell rows. I saw MANY pros doing one armed dumbell rows. As a matter of fact... I saw EVERY pro do one armed dumbell rows.

I don't particularly think of pros as smart. (I know way too many.) But, I am interested in analyzing the pattern of results.

I consider bent over barbell rows one of the BIG 3 for back development. Where should I put one armed dumbell rows?

I have always done one armed dumbell rows because it takes the strain off of my lower back. Barbell rows would kill my lower back before I started working my upper and mid back.

Now I'm focusing on my lower back so that I can do these heavy one day. But for now I will do dumbells.

Dumbell rows require very strict form. If you rotate your shoulder rather than keeping your back perfectly level the excersise is useless, which from my experience is often the case w/ people using too much wieght.

The huge benefit is that your ROM is greater than that of bbell rows. The key is to get the elbow back as far as you can so that the dumbell almost comes up the side slightly. For this reason, I like to incorporate these at the end of my bbell rowing on occasion.

I think they both have a use you could rotate them and see which one works for you better. Punch is right about the strict form necessary. T-Rage have you tried chest supposrted rows those take the strain off my lower back.

hmmm i find that, from personal experience, the barbell row is much more effective.

Another little detail that you can't ignore is that both Yates and Colman credit barbell rows for allot of their back development.

Tiervexx said:
Another little detail that you can't ignore is that both Yates and Colman credit barbell rows for allot of their back development.

funny you should mention that. I never once saw Ronnie do barbell rows with free weights. I did see him do Smith Machine rows several times.

I saw him doing one armed dumbell rows every back day.

I also saw him use the T-bar row often.

i think it boils down to this. you can use more weight with bb rows. but get better rom with db. so its kinda a feel thing.

X

Top Bottom