Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

one arm kettlebell clean and jerk for boxing

jaytaylor84

hi guys I don't have a lot of time to devote to weightlifting anymore as I am an aspiring amateur boxer and it takes quite a toll on my recovery..

my question is this...from what I've found the best bang for buck for many fighters is the clean and press done with either kettlebell, dumbbell, or barbells...i'll be using kettlebells and doing high rep one arm clean and jerks with it..

will I really be getting a full body workout doing just this exercise 2x a week? (main concern is chest)

would 2x a week be sufficient to still maintain/build mass?

I would do doubles if you can with kettlebells. They compress your rib cage making breathing more difficult and more stabilization. 1-arm will do fine though too although why concerned with mass if youre a boxer? You should be focusing on speed and not arm strength.

I would do doubles if you can with kettlebells. They compress your rib cage making breathing more difficult and more stabilization. 1-arm will do fine though too although why concerned with mass if youre a boxer? You should be focusing on speed and not arm strength.

He's looking for a 1 hit ko

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using EliteFitness

@travish

it just sucks loosing all your mass from years of working out...ive read 3 times a week can be done even with many days of boxing

would clean and press work my entire body though? even the chest?

@travish

it just sucks loosing all your mass from years of working out...ive read 3 times a week can be done even with many days of boxing

would clean and press work my entire body though? even the chest?

Yeah but speed creates more than a 1:1 increase in power/strength related to mass. So by increasing strength you're generating more force in less time which will give you more punching power. One of the best workouts I've done using 1-arm clean and press/jerk is to do several ladders of 1-4 for pullups and 1-arm clean and press with a kb. You will be doing only 10 reps of clean and press per arm plus pullups but if you 4-5 rounds of that ladder that's 40 to 50 cleans and presses per arm plus 40-50 pullups. Great workout for both strength and conditioning because you're getting full body strength from the kettlebell movements plus bodyweight conditioning from the pullups. Take 2-3 minutes in between each round of ladders you complete it will look something like this on paper:

Warm up: whatever you choose

Workout(ladder of 1-4): DB/KB clean and press@(whatever poundage)+pullups (weighted or unweighted)

(Rest 2-3 min between ladders)

Cooldown: whatever

There are better things you can do to improve 1-punch KO power so we can go over those too from a functional movement perspective if you want. Hope this helps, bro!

I mean it sounds like a good plan.. but wouldn't adding pull ups effectively overwork my back? I understand kb long cycle/clean and jerk works all muscle groups as is...and has been recommended as the primary or ~only exercise for fighters to perform..

as it stands im doing sets of 15 with 24 kg which will later be upgraded the next size and 90 reps total 2x per week for my strength and conditioning..

so am I correct in that kb clean and jerk works chest to some degree?

Top Bottom