Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Olympic lifting

Do any of you guys watch or do olympic lifting, i just saw some guy clean and jerk 260kg!!

I do power cleans, but could never attempt a clean+jerk or a snatch!

You're talking about this guy.

Jaber Sweeps Supers
(Antalya, Turkey) Saed Jaber (Qat) won all three gold medals today, sweeping the super heavyweight category at the World Weightlifting Championships. Jaber smoked 200-, 205- and 210-kg, for the gold medal in the snatch. Newcomer Roman Mechtcheriakov (RUS) also made three good snatches, ending with 205 kg for the silver medal, and Andrei Chemerkin (RUS) got the bronze with a 200-kg lift. The clean and jerk was all Jaber, as Chemerkin opened with 242.5 and then did high pulls with 247.5 on his second and third attempts. Jaber opened with a routine 245, made another good lift with 250, and then called for a world record of 263 kg. Jaber cleaned the weight, but didn't try to jerk it. Najdek (POL) jerked 250 for the silver medal. In the total, Mechtcheriakov got the silver, with 445 kg, edging Chemerkin, who had a total of 442.5 kg.

Jaber (formerly of Bulgaria) cleaned 263 kg at a bodyweight 125 kg. That's a 579.8lb clean at a 276lb bodyweight. That's awesome.

I do quite a bit of supplementary olympic exercises like high pulls and hang snatches/power cleans.These are great for back development.

they are brutal lifts. they took me a while to get used to......flexabilty was the major problem with me.

the lifts are so full on......and the coach i had made me do reps of 20.....i couldnt walk or bend over after a work out. my girlfriend at the time had to make my dinner.....cause i would come home and be half way dead (maybe three quarters) i would lie there and she would practically feed me.

I had fun learning the lifts and will continue to use them periodically, and maybe make a move to olympic lifting when the time is right. but for now powerlifting is my main focus.

im confused about the whole deal with olympic lifting - how exactly does it benefit you in real life? it's purpose is to provide an individual with a stronger base of short burst power correct? but doesnt a bodybuilder look better, and isnt a powerlifter stronger? other than the olympics and clubs and things like that, would anyone here recommend it for some other reason?

if you ask me body builders look like shit......but anyway i digress

powerlifting is incorrectly named...with not much power being involved more.....strength. correctly olympic has more to do with power. or explosive power.

olympic lifts are usually done for:
-olympic lifting competition
-a lot of football players use it....to help with explosive speed.
-body builders use it an an alternative for a few exercises.....theres nothing like a bit of diversity to spice up life

olympic lifting can add some f**k off mass in the traps glutes hamstrings

theres nothing like a personal challenge......

mattcanning99 said:
im confused about the whole deal with olympic lifting - how exactly does it benefit you in real life? it's purpose is to provide an individual with a stronger base of short burst power correct? but doesnt a bodybuilder look better, and isnt a powerlifter stronger? other than the olympics and clubs and things like that, would anyone here recommend it for some other reason?

I agree with Endpoint.....bodybuilders look like shit. I dont see how bodybuilding benefits you in real life......if you get to any decent size you cant find decent clothes, you have to swing one leg around the other when you walk......but thats ok because you can prob only walk 10 yards anyway, to compete you have to put your body into a pretty dangerous position.....I could go on.

As far as Olympic lifters being weaker than powerlifters......Shane Hamman, an olympic lifter, squats 900lb I believe. I see olympic lifters going ATF with squats with more weight than many powerlifters could handle to that depth. I only wish I had the commitment to incorporate more olympic lifts!

Here's some olympic lifting information. I saw a 85 kg lifter front squat 280 kg. I saw a 77 kg lifter back squat 290 kg for a double. These are done ass ATF, no belt, no wraps, no spotters.
Go to Ironmind.com and look at the training hall videos you can buy. They have awesome workouts 1 week before the competition, a 77 kg bulgarian lifter power cleaned and jerked 182.5 kg and a cuban lifter (77 kg) power cleaned and jerked 190 kg in the training hall at the '96 olympics. That's 2.5 times bodyweight power clean. AWESOME LIFTING!

i read in the paper recently about a girl in the 75 kg class doing one of the lifts with something like 120 kg im pretty sure...

so she was prob 160 lbs using approx 250 lbs for the lift...forget the lift tho...the hypertrophy effects of olympic lifting are still lagging tho, right? it's mainly about power? im somewhat interested, but i think i will take up powerlifting:)

A female Chinese lifter in the 75+ kg class (over 165 lbs.) recently clean and jerked 175kg (385 lbs) in the Chinese Nationals. What the hell are they taking?!?!?

Top Bottom