Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

For Olympic lifters out there????

Cubanito17

Hey guys I perform the clean&jerk. Now I know to help out the clean I do high pulls, and hang cleans. To help out the jerk I do split jerks and push presses. One thing that I know is speed counts alot in both. So for those of you who perform the clean&jerk what % of your 1RM do you use and what other excercises do you perform or even on these what %'s do you use????Thanx at the moment I do hang cleans @ 70% of my 1RM power clean from the ground. And I'll do high pulls and push presses just with whatever weight feels comfortable for a 4 sets of 8. Although I throw these lifts in into my regular westside routine.

when i did olympic lifting we did 5 reps to faliure for 5 sets(on the accessorie) to build bulk and strength, and when we did the full movements we did like 50% i think......till we couldnt any more.
the movements were:
deadlifts with snatch grip.
front squats(clean and jerk lift),
overhead squats
over head presses and push press
standard deadlifts,
romanian deadlifts
squats squats and more squats (usually with the bar reeeeeeeeealllll high)
pulls from different heights

i will look up in my encyclopedia of weightlifting if you want for their routines (so you can see what percentage they use......i also have many books with olympic shit)

i will have to check the books. i wont give you any more information on how i trained......except i will say you had to cancel out 3 hours of your afternoon to train)

Judging by the books they use a standard periodization model where there is hypertrophy, strength, restoration phases that go from 50 to 110%. there where many different models and set ups of exercises......some not even including the lifts at all.

i dont know how you are going to fit this in with westside training.

go to elite fitness and do a search on "ask dave" for *olympic* and *clean* and *jerk*/*snatch* and see what you come up with. dont include the * of course

i vaguely recall them answering questions about adding in olympic lifts.

a little tip.

search "ask dave" on elite fitness before looking anywhere else

Hey thanx man one thing I learned today it's like a snatch but using DB's you take the weight from the ground, with one arm, clean then once you clean it right away jerk it up it's like a snatch but it's a little different. The way I figured I coulda used it into westside training was throw it in on push press for my ME bench day as my shoulder workout. then instead of my ME back and leg deadlift 5 by 5 i would do cleans then on speed day bench instead of lat pulldowns i would do high pulls. I'll check out that sight thanx again bro.

Any other olympic lifters out there know anything that can help. Thanx

If you are looking for Olympic assistance lifts to specifically work your shoulders my personal favorites would easily be the power snatch from a dead hang and the snatch grip press behind the neck, assuming you have the flexibility to execute the latter.

As for % if relative intensity when training, I would, at your stage of training, simply keep the weight light (50%) and work on improving both technique and bar speed while slowly adding weight.

If your pulls are weak off of the deck, you can work on this with snatch grip deadlifts in addition to simply adding weight to your clean pulls. If your second pull is weak, you can pull from pins in the power rack.

You could also do hang cleans or hang clean and press or hang clean and push press for shoulder work following your tricep work on one of your bench days. You could also subsititue the press (standing military) as an ME bench lift.

And drop the reps on high pulls, eight is too high. You can increase the number of sets if you desire more volume. You should experience CNS failure or fatigue before you experience muscular fatigue when executing these.

Hey thanx Arioch upset for one thing what's a snatch grip behind neck press. I've done snatches before with high explosion at least trying to anyway. I'll cut down my high pull reps and bump up weight some. Thanx again bro.

SGPBN is simply a press behind the neck, like a military press, only done with a wide grip, at least outside the power rings. Be careful with this exercise, and do not lower the bar too far, just below ear level should be good.

hey thanx man I used to do these but anything behind the neck i've heard is not good and when I did them 3 weeks ago I actually felt a pain in my rotator muscle. So I'll just stick with the snatches, etc. Thanx for your help bro.

I'm an olympic lifter. I lift in Masters competitions (I'm 43). I don't train the lifts with percentages, but the squats are trained with percentages. I train the lifts by how I feel on a particular day. If I'm moving slow or am tired, I back off the weight a little. If I'm feeling good I go for broke. I only do the lifts one day per week along with squatting twice per week (emphasizing front squats one day and back squats the next). Seem to work ok for me. Occasionally I'll throw in RDL's, shrugs, deads, mil. presses. But basically it's squats and lifts.

Top Bottom