Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

oly clean vs power clean..

carlsuen

i've done some searching here and there.. and the only difference is that the oly clean requires u to front squat all the way down.. while the power clean only requires u to bend your knees a little just to cushion the weight..

any thoughts on which would be an optimal choice.. and if possible can anyone also list the pros and cons?

Both of them are ''oly cleans'',you are think of the SQUAT/FULL clean vs power clean.Either way you cant really go wrong,but I am focusing on learning the full clean first as it is harder and probably the more benefical of the 2 movements.One drawback to the full clean might be that if you are squatting really heavy 2-3times it might be too much on the legs to recover from.

Hopefully someone more knowledgable then me can answer your question in a more precise manner.

if you can do a fullclean properly then you will do a powerclean the right way
full cleans kinda force you to do cleans the proper way

the reverse isn't true :)

that's why I also do squatcleans from the high hang as I warmup for my powercleans
get the timing of the rack and help remind me to keep my arms loose and use my hips and legs to power the bar up instead of pulling with the arms.

anyway fullcleans can be heavier and require lots of leg strnegth, gonna have to hit the frontsquats. pretty hard on the core too.
Powercleans use lighter weights and more speed, less draining on the body.
I guess it depends on what your doing em for. I doubt either is really good musclemass IMO, unless you do tons of em, which they aren't really suited for unless you want to fry yourself silly.

hey, what up coolcolj, hope all is well....you throwing down two handed 360 windmills these days or what? ;)

Anyways, I don't really understand the difference between the two cleans...might you have a link w/ pics/vids to demonstrate the two? I checked on exrx, but they don't seem to differentiate? Thanks

what are your thoughts behind power cleans not being a mass builder? I have to disagree here chief...I think they are a great massbuilder on top of developing explosion and power...

coolcolj said:
if you can do a fullclean properly then you will do a powerclean the right way
full cleans kinda force you to do cleans the proper way

the reverse isn't true :)

that's why I also do squatcleans from the high hang as I warmup for my powercleans
get the timing of the rack and help remind me to keep my arms loose and use my hips and legs to power the bar up instead of pulling with the arms.

anyway fullcleans can be heavier and require lots of leg strnegth, gonna have to hit the frontsquats. pretty hard on the core too.
Powercleans use lighter weights and more speed, less draining on the body.
I guess it depends on what your doing em for. I doubt either is really good musclemass IMO, unless you do tons of em, which they aren't really suited for unless you want to fry yourself silly.

ChinkNasty said:
what are your thoughts behind power cleans not being a mass builder? I have to disagree here chief...I think they are a great massbuilder on top of developing explosion and power...
agreed :artist:

koartist said:
hey, what up coolcolj, hope all is well....you throwing down two handed 360 windmills these days or what? ;)

Anyways, I don't really understand the difference between the two cleans...might you have a link w/ pics/vids to demonstrate the two? I checked on exrx, but they don't seem to differentiate? Thanks

they are the same except with a full/squat clean you catch it in the fullsquat position before recovering
Powerclean is where you catch it where your hammies are above parallel, halfsquat or higher

olylifters do full cleans, which I'm sure you've seen a ton of vids. And powerclean, you should know what that is.

ChinkNasty said:

You need volume and fatigue for mass. You just can't do a lot of olys and the time under tension is very low. Sure you'll get bigger after a few years of doing em every week

but you can get there a lot faster with the usual strength and hypertrophy

and it depends on genetics, if you look at olylifters, some are skinny as hell and others are big.

I'm getting a good result in the mass dept. as well. In my case, I think it's comparable to the newbie growth spurt you get when you first start weightlifting. The O lifts were tremendously different from what I had been doing and could immediately feel the difference in impact and muscular stress.
This will probably stall out shortly, but I'm enjoying the ride while it lasts.

Top Bottom