Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

old fashioned squat racks

FlexManning

You know those squat racks where you don't have the adjustable pins? How do you dump a squat on there?

I'm 6'2, so there's a pretty big gap between the bar and the arms of the rack at the bottom and I don't think I can lean forward without getting hurt.

I've seen videos of people dumping the bar by dropping their hands and walking forward, but I usually use a fairly low bar placement with a thumbless grip as narrow as possible and I'm not sure I could get my arms off completely.

Never had to deal with this before but right now I'm stuck going to a small town gym without a power rack.

I guess what I'm actually asking is if anybody who isn't extremely short does really heavy low bar squats and has had any luck dumping squats on a non-adjustable squat rack.

I've checked out lots of videos on YouTube but I don't really see what I'm looking for which is folks doing heavy (405lb+) squats in low bar position and being able to get out from under them safely without a spotter and without having an adjustable rack.

I'm 6'1 so I know exactly where you are coming from.

You basically just need to let the bar roll off your back. It'll crash onto the safety bars and make a lot of noise but that's what the safety bars are for. Who cares if the whole looks over.

If you are in the hole and can't get out, lean back and let the bar roll off your traps and onto the safeties.

very simple.. do front squats on a mat.. use a clean to get it onto yourself and then do those. actually a very good option for those who have neck issues and who don't want to rest a heavy bar on their back

when you are done with your set bend down and just drop the weights forward onto the mat. rinse and repeat

I would kinda 'squat down' to put the weight. Or that doesnt work for you?

This isn't the exact rack but it's one of these style racks. When I'm using a power rack it's no big deal because I can set it just right where I can go back or forward with the weight and never have to worry about it. But this style rack, for me, even at rock bottom there's a pretty big gap that makes me a little nervous as I squat fairly heavy, often for low reps.

Attachments

• squat_rack.jpg
    squat_rack.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 11
Do you mean to tell me that the height where you need to put down the weights is only at your middle/stomach?

It seems that its not even meant for squatting then.

Top Bottom