Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Okie Crew and others...

In response to latinus spicticus,

As a rule, powerlifters are short. I am. Many on the board are under 6 feet tall, and many are over 200 lbs. I am one who is well under 6 feet, and have not seen the sub 200's in some time. Taller (over 6 feet) powerlifters tend to be heavy, because they have to be in order to maximize leverage for the powerlifts. My training partners are both over 6 feet, and one of them is 300+ and the other one is close and will be over 300 by Christmas.

I doubt many of the guys on here, who are five eight or so, are dunking basketballs. I also doubt many people over 275 lbs on the board are dunking basketballs, so I think it is safe to say not many hear can dunk.

Go to a powerlifting meet some time, and look at how many competitors appear to be able to jump well. I can squat more than I ever have, both olympic as well as powerlifting style. When I was in college, and much lighter than now, I could grab the rim. Now, no way. Too heavy.

Good squatters can jump well unless they are short or overweight. But good squatters tend both to be short and overweight.

That is why I said that.

B.

Welcome aboard Mac Sledge! I look forward to hearing some of benchmonsters war stories! If your half as crazy as he is then i can only imagine the shit ya'll have been in!

Welcome.

Mac is much calmer than I am. He has a few war stories, but they are mostly about being around when I went off the handle. If he comes back on here sometime, he can tell you about the first time his wife went on a drive with us (before she was the Mrs.) We had a little adventure with a convenience store clerk who thought it would be a good idea to flip me off.

I was driving and did not see it, but his girlfriend told me what had happened behind my back. Mac Sledge's response, even before I had a chance to say a word, was, Öh shit, you shouldn't have told him that!!!" Pulling a tire squeeling 360 to go back after the guy was probably not the way to make a good first impression on his soon to be wife.

She married him anyway, and neither one of us went to jail, so I guess everything went well. Mac went to the same college I went to, and got there after I left. He used to tell me stories that he heard about things I had done. It was funny, most were based in fact, but by the time they got to him, they were so overblown it was really hilarious to hear them. Hopefully he will share a few.

B.

Dunking and such...

I think people can either jump or they can't. I have read and seen many workouts where people can increase vertical leap and while I think one can improve there isn't a tried and true system that will add 6+ inches to anyone's vertical.

Of course none of you care about vertical so I will stop there.

To give you a rundown of my stats I am 6'2" 220lbs. I have been up to 250lbs before which was about half more muscle and half more fat and it was attributable to proper supplementation.

My brother has introduced me for the most part to powerlifting. His genetics are more geared to lifting heavier weights but I am not using that as an excuse. Like I stated before I just prefer more of a bodybuilding physique.

My other problem is I don't have a good facilities to workout in. The town in which I live has exactly 1 place to workout and its a "Wellness Center". Also I don't live close enough to "the Dungeon" to get workouts in there either.

However, I am working on securing a new workout place and if I can I hope to start a summer of Westside.

Mac

PS. I do remember the guy who flipped my brother off. Dude wouldn't come from behind the counter when he called him out and actually the Frito Lay guy ran us off.

I'm not a thief, mind you! But in a similar situation I may have hi-jacked a case of beer on my way out. A small payback for the inconvenience the clerk caused me, you know.

Good idea Screwball,

The reason that we left without pulling the clerk through a knothole though, was because the Frito guy was going to call the cops. Wa-hooing beer may have not been the best idea under the circumstances.

Funny thing was, I was at the movies that weekend and saw that clerk again. I was not driving, and had Mrs. Benchmonster stop the car. I walked up to the clerk planning on not saying shit, just smashing his face in, and the damn theatre had a cop working security who I saw about 10 feet before I got to the bastard. Saved by the bell twice.

Oh well, maybe I was lucky. He might have been a ninja or something and really have whooped my ass. Ya never know.

B.

WELCOME ABOARD benchmonster is this another one that can twist me into a pretzel too. I can't wait til 6 years from now I'll have to make sure to keep posting pics as me and my brother get bigger. He's 15.

You make some good points, benchmonster.

I feel like a dumbass because, as you point out, most powerlifters who are over 5'8" are usually 242+lbs. Obviously this is because the leverage needed to compete makes it necessary for guys who are taller to get really heavy.

I am not hardcore enough (yet) to put on 50 more pounds of bodyweight in order to compete, but I do consider myself a powerlifter as I train using the westside principles. I was under the impression that most guys here were similar to me. Maybe there are more hardcore dudes on the board than I thought.:);)

Most that post on this board compete. If that is your definition of hardcore, then this is a very hardcore group. I personally am five foot seven, and have to watch what I eat pretty closely to stay in the 220's. Next year I will probably move up to 242. Not to much jumping going on here.

Great to have your input, and keep at it, if you desire to compete, get up there and do it. Once you have done one, then I cannot imagine not wanting to come back and do a bunch more.

B.

Top Bottom