Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

NO warm-up for Bench Presses!

BodybuildingUniverse

Plat Hero
Platinum
A freind of mine refuses to warm up on bench at all - he goes right to 315 first set every time. Tells me that warm ups just cause him to lose strength. He hasn't been hurt by it so he wont listen to reason on that. And he benched 370 at 180 bodyweight at a recent bench meet in street clothes with no warmup - so he's a strong bencher for sure. Seems headed for trouble, doesnt he? But he won't listen.

9359142_F_tn.jpg

I agree with the losing strength but woudl you rather risk injury and not train for a prolong amount of time or just warm up and get to the heavy weights!!!

Thats me....

just kidding lol Justin Rys (mr. New Zeland) the guys delts are friggin insane..there's only a few picks on the net of him try a google!! ;)

I am way stronger when I warm up

Yeah if warming up is making this guy feel like he's losing strength then he's not doing it correctly.

I keep it to small sets of 3 when I'm warming up and if anything I feel stronger, almost primed.

casualbb said:
Yeah if warming up is making this guy feel like he's losing strength then he's not doing it correctly.

I agree. The point of a warmup is not to waste strength. If he is losing too much strength on a warmup, then he is going too heavy. I do a warmup to kind of loosen up and get a feel for it. I personally never go above 60% of my max weight that I'm going to use for that particular exercise for a warmup set.

Last edited:
needsize said:
I am way stronger when I warm up

Same goes for me. If I dont warm-up, joints ache and the weight feels extremely heavy. Aside from that, when I was 18 I attempted 315 without a warm-up for a forced rep. I sprained my chest real good and had to take atleast 4 weeks off from chest training. These days I wouldnt go heavy without a warm-up. Id tear something for sure.

The guys are right, you should be stronger after a warm-up. There have been tests done and they found that jogging (general warm up) and similar movements (light weight benching) were directly correlated with strength and power during the exercise.

Stretching was inversely related to strength and power. But the weakening effects of stretching only last one hour, whereas the increased ROM from stretching last about 2 hours.

So my recommendations for a warm-up are:

1) Stretching > one hour prior to exercise (not longer than 2 hours)

2) About 10 minutes of slow jogging just before exercise

3) Light warm-up movements similar to the exercise in question

If i dont warm up, i cant move a god damn thing. However, if i warm up skys the limit. Unfortunately it takes me 4 or 5 sets to finally warm up on bench. My guess is that one day he will tear a pec and be forced to learn the hard way, hopefully he doesnt, but it wouldnt suprise me.

Top Bottom