Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

No upper body strength

Woolyy

I've been lifting for over a year now but only the past few months seriously. And I JUST started my first bulk 3 weeks ago. For the majority of that year I never increased weight, and ate at either a caloric defecit or ate my maintenance calories, hence why I didn't gain much.

Anyways, fast forward to now. 3 weeks ago I got off the horrible Upper/Lower 3x a week I put myself on. I liked the U/L format itself, but I did 90% isolation movements and with the way I was eating, I saw little to no gains. I'm currently on a Push/Pull/Legs 3x a week and have seen good gains so far. I finally broke 200 on my Squats last week and it feels so good haha.

The problem is I have little to no upper body strength. For the longest time I couldn't do push ups, but I got into those months ago. My main thing is I can't do a single pull up or dip. I have to use the assisted machine to crank out 3x8 or 4x10 or whatever the case may be. This is causing me to second guess my routine and myself.

I think it's a number of problems, but my main guess would be because I'm skinny fat. SF people have almost no muscle mass from what I understand. I'm about 6'1" and weigh 197. Call me whatever, but because of my height I don't DL. It feels very uncomfortable to me. I also don't Barbell Bench. IMO, DB's give such a greater ROM and you are able to squeeze your Pecs at the top of the rep.

Enough about all of that. I only have 3 days a week at the gym because I can't drive myself BUT I'll have my license by mid-the end of September. I'd like to have more frequency in my routine because I ultimately think it would help me with my strength. I think I should keep my Push/Pull/Legs until the end of August so it gives me about 6 weeks on the routine, then I can change to an alternating Upper/Lower. And when I can drive myself, I'll probably do Upper/Lower 4x a week.

Does this sound like a good idea? Having no upper body strength is frustrating to me. If I created an U/L with good compound movements and frequency, I think I can finally start doing pull ups and dips. Any tips or advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you for reading/replying!

Dumbells will not allow you to overload your body to the proper extent. There are benefits to moving bigger weights in the same plane of motion. Squeezing your pecs will not make you stronger; progressive overload will make you stronger.

Not trying to put you down at all, but if your upper body is weak chances are that it is proportionately weak in relation to your lower body. With a squat max just at your bodyweight, I'd expect there to be weakness all around. Focus on squats, learn how to deadlift, and bench press with a barbell for now. Once you get your bench up to a reasonable number, you will in turn be able to do some dips (consider them an assistance exercise for your bench, not an end unto themselves). Pullups will come as you get stronger all around...they will be very difficult for a long time as you have bodyfat to lift and little muscle mass (for now) to pull it with. What you can do is use a chair to assist yourself to the pullup position, then control yourself as much as you can on the descent.

Also, stay away from machines as much as possible. You should be able to find a good beginners routine in the weight lifting forums.

I'm no fitness professional (I am a rehab professional haha) but if you need any advice keep posting. Good luck

You might be intimidated by BB bench....dont be !

BB bench
over head press
pull ups
dips

concentrate on these and your upperbody strength will not be a problem.
do assisted on dips and pull ups if needs be...

Ready the stickies... change your diet... get over yourself and deadlift. Your entire body is weak. Any plan that leaves out deadlifts and barbell bench press isn't a plan, you have not been training... merely going to the gym. Hate to be mean bro, but your post calls for it...

I recommend Bill Starr's 5x5 for Beginners, or better yet for you Stronglift 5x5, since you obviously don't have much experience. Learn the forms, watch youtube videos. Otherwise you'll never get much farther than where you are now...

How's this?

BB Bench 3x10
Squat 3x10
Straight leg deadlift 3x8
Bent over row 3x8
Chin Ups 3x 10? (have to use the assisted machine for awhile...)
BB curls 3x8?

Do I need a few Tricep sets in there or no?

How's this?

BB Bench 3x10
Squat 3x10
Straight leg deadlift 3x8
Bent over row 3x8
Chin Ups 3x 10? (have to use the assisted machine for awhile...)
BB curls 3x8?

Do I need a few Tricep sets in there or no?

What is this? You are proposing doing this every time you workout?

I've been lifting for over a year now but only the past few months seriously. And I JUST started my first bulk 3 weeks ago. For the majority of that year I never increased weight, and ate at either a caloric defecit or ate my maintenance calories, hence why I didn't gain much.

Anyways, fast forward to now. 3 weeks ago I got off the horrible Upper/Lower 3x a week I put myself on.

All of your problems are withing these lines.

I'm one of the best squatters and deadlifters you will probably ever meet and one of the worst pressers. Genetics, injuries, the list goes on. Bar or dbell...deadlift or not...it may not fit your goals. I can tell you this...your lower body ISN'T strong if you aren't squatting and deadlifting...so don't fool yourself into believing that you are.

Top Bottom