Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Newb weight training advice

knobler

Day 1

BB Row 5x5
Pullups - 3 sets till failure
lat pulldowns - behind head 3 sets till failure approx 12-8-6
Facepulls - 3 sets till failure approx 12-8-6
Seated cable row - 3 set till failure approx 12-8-6
cable curls - 3 sets till failure approx 20-18-15

my pullups are very weak. wide grip i can do about 4 then 2 then a couple singles so i also do the pulldowns. also i find that cable curls are the only curls that effect my biceps. everything else seems to just burn out my forearms so i always do cable curls

Day 2 - Alternate flat and incline each week

BB bench 5x5
DB Bench 3 sets till failure approx 10-8-6
flyes 3 sets till failure approx 10-8-6
dips 3 sets till failure approx 10-8-6
pushups 3 sets till failure approx 20-18-15

day off

Day 4

Deadlift 5x5
SLDL 5x5
Goodmornings 3 sets till failure approx 10-8-6
Hamstring curl 3 sets till failure approx 10-8-6
standing distance jumps 3 sets till failure. minimal body swing

Day 5

Military press 5x5
db shoulder press 3 sets till failure approx 10-8-6
push press 3 sets till failure approx 10-8-6
shrugs 3 sets till failure approx 10-8-6
front delt raise 3 sets till failure approx 10-8-6
side delt raise 3 sets till failure approx 10-8-6

Day 6

front squat 5x5
back squat 5x5
leg press 3 sets till failure approx 10-8-6
calf raise 3 sets till failure approx 25-20-15
jump squats 3 sets till failure

day off

i always start with my back when im fresh after my day off as when i was younger i only did bench press and biceps and i know i hunch a little in the shoulders so im trying to put a little more strength into my back than chest. i try to keep rest to about 30 seconds for the first couple sets of my compound exercises and my accessory exercises. and about 1 minute in the last couple sets of my compounds just so that i get the rest i need to put full effort into the lifts and complete them.

i know next to nothing about putting together a routine. ive just been reading and reading and this is what i have concoct, so any help will be appreciated.

my current goals are weight loss (i posted a thread in the diet forum about my diet so please help there too) and then to put on some muscle and strength.

current stats are:
30 years old
6 feet tall
205 pounds
25% body fat according to weigh scale. i know its not the most accurate!

i used to work out, but very uneducated and not effective. was in shape somewhat from playing sports but life got busy and then i got a bit of a belly but still mostly skinny.

Thanks in advance for any help!

i forgot to add that i also do 30 minutes on the treadmill before each workout. i dont have the most active job. lots of computer work. and i ride my bike around town about an hour every day as well. i give her pretty good and there are lots of big hills to climb coming from and going to my house.

put up some numbers. whats your back squat, flat bench and conventional deadlift numbers?

im curious what youre trying to do on day4? it seems like youre doing posterior chain work on that day but then youre working posterior chain again by squatting on day6. i would swap day4 and day6 around. its not really important but it just makes more sense to me personally. with that said, if you are a new to weight training then the best way to go about things is with a fullbody workout routine. you seem to be doing a bodypart split routine which i have never seen work on anyone who isnt using steroids cept a couple outliers. the reason why the bodypart split doesnt work is because you arent hitting each muscle group with enough frequency. your selection of exercises have a lot of big compound movements which is great so your program might just work out but id rather stick to a simpler 5x5 routine - which i have never seen fail to work on anyone.

if squatting 3 days a week isnt your thing then maybe a push pull legs routine might do you some good?

If weightloss is your biggest goal here then you need more demanding sessions. You need to work large areas with higher reps and short rest periods. Cardio should be done after training or first thing in the morning IMO. You wanna be fresh when you hit the weights and do cardio when your energy stores are depleted to burn fat. I suggest you do a push pull legs split focusing on big compound moves with short rest intervals to get the heart rate up. Something like

Mon push

Bb bench 3x15
Ohp 3x15
Db incline 3x20, super set with push ups 3x failure
Cg bench 3x20, bench dips 3x failure, db flys 3x20 ( this is done in the same set for 3 rounds)

Wed pull

Dl 3x20
Pull up- 50 total reps ( start at bw then use weight assisted machine until you can do them in 4 sets on your own. Add reps or weight as you get better).

-Bb row 3x15, cg pull down 3x15 (ss)
- cg cable row 3x20, face pulls 3x20, db pull over 3x 20 ( all 3 in 1 set)

Fri legs
-Back sq 4x15, then 1 burnout set at 50 reps.
- leg press 3x 50, gm 3x 25(ss)
- front sq 3x20, ham curl 3x20, box jump 3x failure

Start at 60 sec between sets and work you way down to 30 sec between sets. There are no breaks between a superset or giant set. They are to be done one after another and the short break is between sets. Abs are to be done at the end of every training session. Then hit 30 minutes of challenging cardio ( high intensity) On non lifting days tue, thur, and sat I suggest doing 60 min cardio at a moderate pace like jogging or swimming laps. Once you drop the fat then you can work on lean bulking but for now if your goal is to get lean then that has to be the focus. It goes without saying but just incase, diet has to be in check. Don't go so low on cals that you have nowhere to go if you hit a wall. Figure out your maintenance cals then subtract 500 and slowly take away when you need to( stop losing weight) in small increments. When you need a little boost I suggest n2slin and n2burn. I think I covered everything but if I didn't let me know.

Thanks for your help guys. I was doing deadlift on day4 and squats on day6 because my squat is stronger and i wanted deadlift when i was fresher. I am not new to the gym, although ive always lifted off of bro-science so as i learn more i realize better ways to do things. Ive just never had actual help building a routine. I have been in the gym since about 16. Always lifted hard and steady. Just didnt know anything when i was a teenager. Also not new to juicing, although since ive last done it much better products,pct, and info are out now. Current lifts are bench 220 for a set of 3-5. Deadlift 295 for a set of 2-3 and squat 335 for 3-5. Just had some extended time off from the gym. lifted on and off for a year, and then serious again for the last 6-8 months maybe.

in terms of diet i posted some info in the diet section.

thanks joeblow. i will program that workout into my phone and try it out here in the upcoming week or so. appreciate the straight forward approach of just laying a workout out for me

Thanks for your help guys. I was doing deadlift on day4 and squats on day6 because my squat is stronger and i wanted deadlift when i was fresher. I am not new to the gym, although ive always lifted off of bro-science so as i learn more i realize better ways to do things. Ive just never had actual help building a routine. I have been in the gym since about 16. Always lifted hard and steady. Just didnt know anything when i was a teenager. Also not new to juicing, although since ive last done it much better products,pct, and info are out now. Current lifts are bench 220 for a set of 3-5. Deadlift 295 for a set of 2-3 and squat 335 for 3-5. Just had some extended time off from the gym. lifted on and off for a year, and then serious again for the last 6-8 months maybe.

in terms of diet i posted some info in the diet section.

thanks joeblow. i will program that workout into my phone and try it out here in the upcoming week or so. appreciate the straight forward approach of just laying a workout out for me

No problem bro but remember it takes longer then a few weeks to make noticeable results. Stick to it and don't fall off.

Hey dude, so I finally did my first push day yesterday and damn that was a workout. I've been really sick for 2 weeks and barely ate so I was feeling pretty week, and not knowing my weights for those reps I started a little heavy. Did have to take some micro breaks to finish up the last 2 triple super sets unfortunately but I persevered and finished. I could barely lift my arms on the treadmill afterwards. I must have looked like some sort of retarded ape jogging.

The first week is gonna be a little off with finding the right weights but I like it and will def stick to it for a while. Thanks man.

Hey dude, so I finally did my first push day yesterday and damn that was a workout. I've been really sick for 2 weeks and barely ate so I was feeling pretty week, and not knowing my weights for those reps I started a little heavy. Did have to take some micro breaks to finish up the last 2 triple super sets unfortunately but I persevered and finished. I could barely lift my arms on the treadmill afterwards. I must have looked like some sort of retarded ape jogging.

The first week is gonna be a little off with finding the right weights but I like it and will def stick to it for a while. Thanks man.

That's normal. Your gonna have to play with the weights a little to see where they need to be. The weight needs to be light enough so you can get through the sets. But it should be heavy enough that its very challenging to finish the sets. In the beginning I expect you to be doubled over in between sets trying to catch your breath. Then as your body adapts you'll be able to recover faster and that's when you start increasing the weight slightly to keep it challenging. The fact that you had trouble functioning afterwards in good and that's the kind of intensity every workout needs to be effective. If its easy then your body has no need to get better. So keep pushing and force it to adapt to the high level of performance.

Top Bottom