Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

NeW StYlE - WuT u ThInK?

JKurz1 said:
I've tried 5x5 and loved it.

From your post in the Bill Starr thread the other day http://www.elitefitness.com/forum/showpost.php?p=4557877&postcount=44, I gather that the 5x5 you are refering to is the 3 day split routine and not the dual factor version of the classic Bill Starr routine. These are vastly different programs that coincidentally have the same name (although the Bill Starr routine has been the famous "5x5" for several decades now). I highly recommend a dual factor based program whether it's BS 5x5, HST, WSB or whatever. There is a very good reason why dual factor programs have been dominant around the world for a long period of time (the exception being BBing which in the vast majority of cases substitutes increased drug dosage for training knowledge and is multiple decades behind).

Madcow2 said:
From your post in the Bill Starr thread the other day http://www.elitefitness.com/forum/showpost.php?p=4557877&postcount=44, I gather that the 5x5 you are refering to is the 3 day split routine and not the dual factor version of the classic Bill Starr routine. These are vastly different programs that coincidentally have the same name (although the Bill Starr routine has been the famous "5x5" for several decades now). I highly recommend a dual factor based program whether it's BS 5x5, HST, WSB or whatever. There is a very good reason why dual factor programs have been dominant around the world for a long period of time (the exception being BBing which in the vast majority of cases substitutes increased drug dosage for training knowledge and is multiple decades behind).
I read you post and find the routine very intriquing......Is it really, not feasible to incorporate this or break it down into a M-F routine? That's the one thing holding me back, I just dont like the idea of every other idea...I understand rest is crucial, but 2 days a week is all I need.............

2 days a week for rest can't be a firm rule. I could give you a program that would slaughter you and require far more rest. I could give you one where you'd need less. The amound of fatigue generated and recuperation required is dependent on the volume of the program first and then an individual's tolerance and work capacity. If the only way you are going to try it is to spread the volume then do squat and a single arm exercise on M/F and save your benches and rows for T/R. Same volume just spread so you can be in the gym 5 days a week - albeit less recovery because you are now pressing T/W/R in some fashion. Kind of illogical - it's like a guy asking to come into the office every weekend even though there is no work to be done and he'll just be sitting at his desk and not being paid.

I see you point bro and I am a firm believer in your theory/style. My scenerio is I work in a office for 10-12 hours M-F and half day on Sat.........I've always been active and I need that training release(or a big bottle of Jack)............you see my point? If you could illustrate a 5 day in detail, I'd be forever grateful! PM me.....

Madcow2 said:
the exception being BBing which in the vast majority of cases substitutes increased drug dosage for training knowledge and is multiple decades behind

This point cannot be overemphasized, jkurz.

However, I have a solution for your wanting to be in the gym so often. Mainly, because I'm in the gym 6 days a week as well. 3 of these days involve training, but I alternate these days with either core or prehab work.

Ok...so what kind of core or rehab work? What would a day like that entail? Yes, I'm not sayhing I need to train heacy 6 days a week, nor am I superman........but some sort of release is necessary............would this change if someone was on AAS?

JKurz1 said:
I see you point bro and I am a firm believer in your theory/style. My scenerio is I work in a office for 10-12 hours M-F and half day on Sat.........I've always been active and I need that training release(or a big bottle of Jack)............you see my point? If you could illustrate a 5 day in detail, I'd be forever grateful! PM me.....
To make it a decent one I'd have to deviate so far from the 5x5 program that it would end up being customized to a large degree and making a custom program for someone who's weak points are unknown tends to be a waste. Why not take a look at the 5x5 arrangement and see what you can come up with and PM me your idea.

You could also fill in the extra days with some technique work on power cleans/snatches and make an effort to learn the olympic lifts - for the most part it's concentric only so it won't be as fatiguing and people new to the lifts don't lift enough weight to really put a wrench into the CNS. A few sets for reps, core work, and some cardio would flush out T/R giving you 5 days plus expand your arsenal of good effective lifts substantially.

I'd also recommend maybe exploring some additional interests or hobbies. To make optimal progress in the gym you must train optimally and with a 5 on/2 off requirement that's going to get in the way of many programs. It's a big world with a lot of cool stuff to explore, try, and learn about. Maybe pick up a musical instrument or some type of art work. There are so many things I wish I had taken the time to try to learn. If you have a bit of extra time give something a shot. You'll probably make better progress in the gym, enjoy it more when you are there, and balance out the "gym or Jack only" equation.

Top Bottom