Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

new member seeks advice

Gilgalad81

Hey guys, i'm new here, this is my info

5'8" 153-158 lbs 20 years old,
supplement/steroid free
3 years of weight training.

Bench 245 max
Squat 330 max
Stiff DL 330 max
Close Bench 220 max

I just recently started boxing 3 times a week, and at the same time, I am realizing that I just don't have time to go to the gym 5 times a week anymore, with boxing and school starting. I have stumbled upon static contraction training and I am trying it out, slowly incorporating it into my routine. So here's my results so far, tell me if you have had similiar results, and maybe what other exercises I should try for static contraction. I know everyone here has heard about it, but not many people like it...I definitely feel that joint pain a little when I hold 275 on the bench (for my puny 155 lbs ectomorph frame its heavy), but I'm moving up on the other stuff, so I am gonna keep you guys posted. Also, i'm gonna start taking longer breaks, (7 days like its said, not 4 like i'm doing LOL!)

Bench Press: (regular 205 8 times)
Workout 1: 260 15 seconds
Workout 2: 275 8 seconds( just started, didn't rest enough)

P.S. I'm holding the weight at the WEAKEST point, 2 inches off
my chest. (My triceps can hack it, my chest can't).

Cable pull-ups(close supinated grip)
Workout 1: 230 lbs 20 seconds
Workout 2: 250 lbs 15 seconds
Workout 3: 250 lbs 30 seconds

Cable rows:(regular weight 150 lbs 6-8 times0
Workout 1: 190 lbs 15 seconds
Workout 2: 230 lbs 10 seconds
Workout 3: 250 lbs 15 seconds(grip gives out)
Workout 4: 250 lbs 25 seconds(grip gives out)
(I can now do 170 like 8 times)

Shrugs: Regular weight 225 12-15 reps
Workout 1: 295 15 seconds
Workout 2: 295 30 seconds(stopped at 30), then
2nd set 330 8 seconds Grip gave out :(

Anyway, I've been doing this only for 2.5 weeks....I haven't done
anything else for upper back, I'll keep you guys posted on the results, I am very eager to see if my bench will move up fast. BTW these results are at the same time as goign to the boxing gym for 6 hours a week cardio :)...so tempting to stop cardio, because I haven't upped my food intake much and I know its slowing me down.

Well I would be careful with that stuff man, I have seen some injuries due to that as well as over training really easily. I personally cant tell you what to do though. My only advice would be, if your boxing and not able to hit the gym that much, condense your workout down to 2-3 days per week, hit mainly compound movements, low volume, keep intensity high(dont go to failure like HIT bullshit, but keep attempting to increase your strength). I am not sure exactly what your goals are but I assume you are wanting to try and get stronger while boxing.

good luck in your training, and as solid said, make sure you dont over train, the heavy static holds really do take a toll on your CNS

Yes, you're right :)

I do want to get stronger while getting better for boxing. But I read that boxing makes you have speed, and weight training makes you slower. However I originally started lifting to get stronger, and to throw a stronger punch, but now i'm finding out that i'm better off throwing a faster punch by practicing lots of punches..

...so I'm at a loss.....I really like having slow strength and an awesome grip and like being able to lug a girl's refrigerator up 4 floors of stairs, but I also want to be able to pop someone hard as hell ...........so i dunno what to do.....should I be doing like really low weight incline presses and 20 rep squats? :)....

LOL strength making you slow??? You think Mike Tyson, Lennox Lewis, Evander Holyfield, etc, didnt lift weights??? I can answer that, yes they did and no they were not slow. Hell football players, soccer players, track and field athletes, just about every sport lifts weights. The only reason it may slow you down is if you put on too much weight or attempted to look like Ronnie Colman. I would just vary my weights and reps, I would go light with high reps for a few weeks then pound out some heavy weights with low reps for a few weeks. Just my opinion.

strength gains are specific to the training speed. in other words, if you train at a slow speed, youll be stronge when moving slow, not much carryover to fast speeds, and if you train at fast speeds, youll get stronger while moving faster, with less gains on slow movements.

my advice would be to use CAT... low reps, high sets, medium weights, along with SOME max effort training (high maximal strength supports high speed strength) and also some really high speed training like throwing a medicine ball...

or, if you like, do westside, but replace about half the max effort work with really fast movements like medicine ball throws... this will make the overall training program more specific to a high speed sport like boxing.

Top Bottom