Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

New to lifting/Can you guys help with lifting routine

madhops22

Hey everyone,
I'm a basketball player and need to get in serious shape for the summer (lots of 3-on-3 tournaments). I have been hitting the weights at home (dumbells and curl bar) for the last 3 weeks, but I need some expert guidance on my weekly routine.
First I'll tell you where I am now, and my goals for the summer.

NOW - 5'11/193lbs/soft body, not ripped by any means/ 24 years old.
SUMMER - 180lbs/hard/need to gain strength more than mass, but I do need a little mass added/my vertical jump must improve by 6-8 inches (will that happen if I gain strength in my legs and lose wieght?).

Work-out Routine NOW:
Monday - BICEPS, standing curls (20lbs/arm), hammer curls (20lbs/arm), reverse curls with curl bar for forarms/biceps. EACH EXCERCISE I DO 3 SETS.
SHOULDERS, I do side lateral raises(10lbs)/and pull-ups with the curl bar (40lbs)
ABS - a variety of different crunches (6 different positions x 25 reps)
LEGS - Squats without weight, Calves (skip rope for 20 mins)
CARDIO - 20 mins of skipping rope and 15 mins of jogging
Tuesday- TRICEPS, Dumbell extensions (over head) 30lbs, dips on my chair 15
CHEST, pushups (dont have a bench...really sucks)
BACK, Deadlifts (50lbs), leaning over rows with curl-bar 50lbs
LEGS, lunges without weights
CARDIO, 30 mins of jogging
Wednesday - day off
Thursday - repeat Monday
Friday - repeat Tuesday
Sat - day off
Sun - day off
So that's the routine, sorry if it was a long post but I thought I would give you as much info as I could. Could you guys help mould my workout to something that would help me reach my goals. Any help would be appreciated!

thanks in advance,

Madhops

sorry - forgot to add in the supplements i'm taking

I just thought I would tell you the supplements I'm taking...
1 multivitamin
3 tablespoons of flax seed oil
2 protein shakes a day ISO-WHEY 40 grams of protein a shake...the rest i get through food.
Should I add a fat burner? I dont want to add creatine yet because I'm trying to shred fat.

Dude, here is my advice:

1.) Buy a bench.
2.) Get ample free weights
3.) Forget everything you thought you knew about weighlifting.

I think before you jump into WestSide you need to build more of a foundation. I think the best way to do that is by doing a full body routine twice a week, with reps NOT to failure.

To lose weight, nevermind the cardio....just eat clean and eat less.

-Zulu

I'm not a big fan of Westside. I say dump all off the stuff you are doing now and work the big lifts hard: squats, deadlifts, military presses (any overhead work, really), dips, cleans would probably help your explosiveness for basketball.

If you play a lot of basketball and plan to train heavy, eat a LOT!

If you post this on the training board you will probably get better responses but i'll let yo know what i think. Basically you want o lose some fat , gain some muscle and increase your virticle while keeping in good cardiovascular shape.

Keep the jump rope in your routine as a warmup for 20 minutes every day you train. After warm ups do all your ab work , sit ups , crunches , leg raises ect. Then hit the weights. Keep all your exercises that your doing like pushups , deadlifts , lunges , bent rows , curls , extensions and all that stuff. try to make the weight heavy enough so you will be training between 12-15 reps but no more than 15 for 4 sets. Do this on monday and thursday.

On tuesday and friday you will do exercises to increase your vertical. Such as jump squats , box jumps , other plyometric exercises , and sprints 5x40 yards.

Wednsday and saturday you should go play ball or do some light cardio. I'll try and find some links for you to figure some of these movements out.

thanks for the feedback so far...keep it coming!

Thanks a lot guys for the feedback...it's much appreciated!
Keep it coming!

One question...what would you recommend - Buy a bench (300 dollars canadian) or get a gym membership (600 dollars canadian)?
I'm not sure what to do. I dont have a workout buddy to spot me on heavy lifts such as bench work.

thanks everyone!

Madhops

Hmm, I'd say get a membership. I workout at home.....I like it but I feel I'm missing out.

-Zulu

Top Bottom