Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

New Interviews: Rippetoe/Pendlay Pt. 2 and Mike Hartman

so starting strength is a good book to add to my collection.
I have the bill starr book.. Is there a good book my Glenn ?

Here's a review or two of Starting Strength, the second one in particular is from Wendler and EliteFTS - Dave Tate's site, and I just quoted it below since it's exactly the recommendation you want and it's the strongest one you can give it. http://www.k3k.de/Info/startingstrength.html

Jim Wendler said:
If you have a young child or are a coach of junior high or high school athletes; get this book. Get them lifting correctly before someone has a chance to screw it up. If you are coaching collegiate or professional athlete; get this book. It's never too late. If you are a personal trainer, training the "average" person; get this book. It will give you coaching cues and allow you to teach the fundamental lifts that most people should do for overall strength training.

The bottom line is this: this book should be owned by just about everyone. It's a shame that this book hadn't come out sooner. In an age where complexity and overcomplicated training has become the norm, this book is a breath of fresh air. I honestly believe that this book, more than just about any other book on lifting weights or training, should be in everyone's bookcase, office or gym bag.

The "next book" so to speak is titled Practical Periodization and is supposed to cover training progression and programming for what are essentially years 1-3. Glenn said it should be out in early 2006. Lon Kilgore, Mark Rippetoe, and Glenn all colaborated on it.

More here:
http://www.lonkilgore.com/books.html

Extra_Strong said:
also excited about your web page..

Not too much to get excited about there. It's more a convenience and backup thing as a website is a lot easier to upbate and backup information. An internet forum just wasn't designed for that.

It will be a much improved version of what's here and streamlined a lot better - particularly for beginners as that's something I never really spend any time on and it's caused a number of snafus. Charts and graphics are particularly much easier. Fixing typos and editing is a breeze as forums lock old posts generally. It won't be a commercial venture of any sort, definitely the free-charity variety.

God dammit, I was in the middle of typing a response and my browser crashed. Okay, I talked to Mark on the phone recently, and asked him about progression from beginner to intermediate and such. The stuff he says in the article is more or less what he said to me.

It seems to coincide with an article on www.higher-faster-sports.com called "The Path of Champions". It says a beginner should increase every workout until they stall, training 3x a week. After this stalls, back off the weight a bit, then ramp back up. Keep doing this until you really can't progress anymore.

After this, drop frequency to about 2x a week. Mark told me on the phone to try WSB, and according to that article, he and Glenn support the idea of using a Upper/Lower Westside split, but instead of ME days, you have 5x5 days. Of course, you do the DE days similar to WSB. Only thing is, you wouldn't bother using as much assistance work as them.

After this, you'd probably train each body part once every 5-7 days, similar to a DC split. Eventually you reach a point where you build back up frequency, while maintaining your level of intensity.

Just food for thought, I guess. Good article, MC.

Top Bottom