Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

A new floor press question

MidwestJ

So in the floor press when you're just starting out doing them are you able to press more or less weight than a normal bench press typically?

the floor press is different for different people. i had a friend that could do a 405 but couldnt bench 405.

personally, if i use a close grip, no equipment, and i fully stop my elbows on the floor before reversing the motion, i am 100 - 150 lbs under my contest bench.

this is why i LOVE doing these. I have found an area I am weak at. you should strive to find these spots.

If you can bench 500 and you can 5 board press 500, it is not really necessary to work your 5 board press as you are strong enough in this position. however, if you are only floor pressing 350, this area could definitely use improvement.

this is my opinion. i used to love working lifts i was really strong at, but if they dont carry over to contests, what is the point?

/irish

My floor press is less then 50lbs under my raw best. But i woudl say 100 or more then my contest best. I never do them , i like them, but they hurt my shoulder a little these days, not like before. But like irish power said i get no real carry over to my contest bench. But i could do them in different ways, bands and shit . But for some reason i dont do them anymore. Maybe i should start!

my floor press is much lower than my shirt press. My floor press is about where my raw bench is. I have not done them in a while though, as they hurt my shoulder the last few times I tried them.

B.

thank ya

Hey thanks for the help guys. I was worried there for a minute cause my floor press wasn't as strong as my bench max.

My floor press is lower as well, but then the lockout is my weakest part. Take away the initial drive off the chest, and my already weak bench completely disappears.

Top Bottom