Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Nelmsjer's 2006 Journal

nelmsjer

Well, I mentioned in a post last week that I was going to start journaling here, so it's time to get started. First a few quick pieces of background info:

1) I just got done with my first 5x5 program and loved it. I've had outstanding results (in my mind). Below are some copies and pastes from the main 5x5 thread.
  • One more quick update: I mentioned that I would be testing deadlift this week. I just got back from that, and 455 went up very, very nicely...considerably easier than when I did 425. It was absolutely awesome, because I know I have more in me, and that was a lifetime best. Based on my time constraints, I didn't shoot for another, because I also wanted to test military. I am extremely confident in 495 after my next 5x5 cycle, which will end in about 13 weeks.
  • I have never tested military before, so I do not have comparison numbers. I am happy with the result, though, and it is certainly more than I have ever done. 185 lb. went up with no leg dip. It was actually interesting, because once my triceps kicked in, it flew up! Getting it past the sticking point was a tough one, though. I'll definitely call this one VERY close to my true max.
  • At 5'8", my weight increased from 185 to 202. A 17 lb. increase with only a moderate increase in bodyfat. I'm definitely satisfied, there. Calipers say I'm around 13-14%. I did not have the calipers when I began, but I am going to guess that I have added 2%, based on previous measurements and experience. At a worse case scenario, I went from 11% to 14%, which would equate to a 9 lb. gain in LBM in 9 weeks. I'll take it and smile.
  • 1RM on bench increased from 275 to 305. I am 32, and this matches my PR I set as a junior in college. Granted, I'm a little heavier now and have ~5% more bodyfat, but frankly, I never thought I would see it happen again. In college, I felt like my shoulder joint was going to come out the back. I felt a LOT more stable this time around.
  • 1RM on squat increased from 375 to 405+. I definitely feel like I had 20 lbs. or more and may try again , but 1RM squats aren't something I do very frequently. I know enough to know that my 1RM went up substantially, and that is good enough for me.
2) I am in Iraq and have very limited time to workout. 45 minutes is it, but it has proven to this point to be all that is needed. Not to be abrasive, because I truly intend this to be motivational and help you see that you can make the time. Just consider this if you are having a tough time trying to find time to work out: I work 84 hours (12 hours/day and 7 days/week) every week, no exceptions. I admit everyone's situation is different, but consider it. Incidentally for posting purposes, I am 9 hour ahead of CST in the US.

3) I started a higher volume workout yesterday. Specifically, I am doing Waterbury's Anti-Bodybuilding Hypertrophy program (search T-Nation.com if interested). I will either do this for 3 or 6 weeks and then run back into the 5x5 program.

4) I am doing the higher volume workout because my elbows hurt. My tendons and ligaments are sore, and I can't figure out why, to be honest. I have just come out of 5x5, so if experienced 5x5 people have an idea what may have caused it, I am all ears. For the technical, it is my medial epicondyle on both elbows, which is where almost all of the wrist flexors attach.

Ok, now for Monday's workout. ;)

Incline Press: 10 sets of 3 @ 205 - should have done a few more warmup sets, but was comfortably difficult throughout.

Bent Row: 10 sets of 3 @ 205 - felt fine

The two exercises were done circuit fashion with one minute rest between exercises. Overall, it was a good workout. Total time was approximately 25 minutes, so it is a lot of work in a fairly short amount of time. These numbers are technically supposed to be 80% of 1RM, and I am doing some guessing. The progression over the next 3 weeks is that week 2 is 10 sets of 4 and week 3 is 10 sets of 5. The weight remains constant throughout.

And Monday's food intake, which was about 400 calories over the last 2 week's average. Oops! LOL!

Calories: 3868
Fat (g): 177
Carbs (g): 360
Protein (g): 228

Looking forward to following the journal. You have some nice lifts I must say.

And it's quite humbling to see someone as busy as yourself do 5 x 5 in 45 minutes. I gotta work on my mindset.

silver_shadow said:
nelmsjer: u mentioned ur in iraq. are u in the army? how do u manage ur diet and what does it look like?

No, I am not in the military. I am a contractor and have been here for 17 months. One of the greatest experiences of my life, as I have learned a great deal about myself, the value of life and my precious wife, other cultures, what I find I truly need in life (versus "want"), and many, many other things.

If I could allow a personal opinion to come out, I have also learned that the professional advertisers and marketers in America are promoting both the unconscious accumulation of lifelong debt and the destruction of true happiness in the US. I know that might be a hard concept to grasp, but let me explain it this way. My wife and I live in a metal container that measures ~10' x 40'. It is split into 2 rooms, joined in the middle by a small bathroom with a shower and toilet. That's a whopping 400 sq. ft. It is HOT (120-135 degrees Fahrenheit for at least 4 months. It rains almost daily for 3 months in the winter. But I have the good Lord, my amazing wife, the food I need, shelter, and a job that is satisfying...and I have never been so happy in my life. Literally everything else that isn't on that list is "extra", and I'm thankful for it, along with everyday that the Lord protects me. Anyway, thanks for listening... :)

As far as diet goes, I can't say that I manage it too strictly. I am very thankfully in a bulking phase right now. I eat a LOT of chicken breasts, pasta, vegetables, eggs, oatmeal, and fruit. It's kind of like being back in college with full access to the cafeteria. LOL!

I found that I averaged 3200-3400 calories daily while I gained weight over the last 10 weeks.

nelmsjer said:
No, I am not in the military. I am a contractor and have been here for 17 months. One of the greatest experiences of my life, as I have learned a great deal about myself, the value of life and my precious wife, other cultures, what I find I truly need in life (versus "want"), and many, many other things.

If I could allow a personal opinion to come out, I have also learned that the professional advertisers and marketers in America are promoting both the unconscious accumulation of lifelong debt and the destruction of true happiness in the US. I know that might be a hard concept to grasp, but let me explain it this way. My wife and I live in a metal container that measures ~10' x 40'. It is split into 2 rooms, joined in the middle by a small bathroom with a shower and toilet. That's a whopping 400 sq. ft. It is HOT (120-135 degrees Fahrenheit for at least 4 months. It rains almost daily for 3 months in the winter. But I have the good Lord, my amazing wife, the food I need, shelter, and a job that is satisfying...and I have never been so happy in my life. Literally everything else that isn't on that list is "extra", and I'm thankful for it, along with everyday that the Lord protects me. Anyway, thanks for listening... :)

As far as diet goes, I can't say that I manage it too strictly. I am very thankfully in a bulking phase right now. I eat a LOT of chicken breasts, pasta, vegetables, eggs, oatmeal, and fruit. It's kind of like being back in college with full access to the cafeteria. LOL!

I found that I averaged 3200-3400 calories daily while I gained weight over the last 10 weeks.

great to hear that... :)

Tuesday's workout. Bodyweight was 205!!!

Front Squats: 5 sets of 10 @ 155 - I love these, but I thought I was going to die. I haven't done a set of 10 on anything in a very long time.
Hanging Pikes/Knee Raises: 5 sets of 10
Calf Raises: 5 sets of 10 w/ 60 lb. DBs - The only reason I'm working calves is because I literally haven't worked calves in years, and they visibly lag behind the rest of my body. Otherwise, I have to admit I think they are a waste. I wish we had a calf machine for this, but it's my own fault!!! LOL! I designed the gym and ordered the equipment for the gym my wife and I lift in, but I purposefully decided not to get one (btw...not my current job, anymore). While it is a large gym, equipment space is critical, and I figured our soldiers could be spending their time doing better things than calf raises. I don't know why I bothered, because most of them act like the people in the gym moron thread. Whoever is in charge of making recommendations on training our military needs to read some research. Oh well...someday, perhaps, I can get in front of the appropriate person.

Anyway, the workout was tough. Everything was done in giant set fashion with 1 minute between exercises. Front squat, 1 minute rest, Hanging Pikes, 1 minute, etc. I was out of breath by the end and honestly somewhat "brain dead" for the next hour, even after a post-workout shake. Total workout time was right around 25 minutes.

I am appropriately sore from yesterday's workout. Tomorrow is a scheduled day off.

Bump to add Tuesday's calories. All I've got to say is my appetite came back with a vengeance after the two higher volume workouts (compared to the 3x3 of the DF5x5). I'll be backing off today, which is a scheduled day off from the gym.

Calories 4238
Fat (g): 134
Carbs (g): 428
Protein (g): 339

Top Bottom