Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Nelmsjer's 2006 Journal

I tried some OH squats in December. The bar alone was too much for the first few attempts. You need to find your groove and then it gets easier.

IP and I played around with these probably 2 months ago. We always warm up squats with overhead squats with just the bar, so we're fortunate to have the form down, already. I worked up to 185 lbs. that day for an easy single, but that was all I was comfortable with doing without really devoting some thought to it. I'm thinking (hoping) it will go well.

Nice to hear someone doing overhead squats,they seem to be a very good at training the core as well as balance.I have a question about them however,I have been doing a few sets after my workouts with just the bar and find them to be a bit tough on my wrists.I hold the bar with a wide snatch grip(to the collars) and find I can do the exercise with good form and stay stable easily,but my wrists feel very uncomfortable after a few reps.Is this a normal occurance that dissapates with time or am I holding it incorrectly?

Thanks for your time and good workout by the way :) .

Anthrax Invasion said:
Pullups ramped or straight-setted shouldn't make a big difference. I know Rippetoe recommends 3-4 sets of 12 with pullups, then add weight when you can hit all those comfortably at bodyweight, hit those reps again, add weight, etc. I like the approach, but some people just can't seem to break a rep barrier, and are better served by attaching some weight to a belt and doing lower reps. If you like the idea of straight sets more, then by all means go that route. You seem intelligent enough to be able to gauge the efficacy of it.

I wasn't clear...my fault. I just mean that I will do all 5x5 at a constant weight, instead of ramping up to the last, heaviest set. So, weight WILL be added. :)

Anthrax Invasion said:
I like the idea of overhead squats, but front squats may be a better alternative. They're just easier to learn. But hey, a challenge is a great thing, and I loved overheads when I tried 'em out. It's humbling, I'll say that much.

24 lbs. in three months? 8 lbs. a month? 2 lbs. a week? Shame, you know to aim for 1 lb. per week my friend. I'm guessing you added a bit of fat, yea? I kid, I kid. At least you put the weight on. I was downing 4,000+ calories back in March 2005 and I didn't gain anything. My job is labor intensive, coupled with my adolesence and other activities. Any idea how much of what you gained was muscle?

Yeah....busted. I did add a bit of fat, but I also gained a crap load of muscle. I am pretty confident of my ability to get rid of it, and I will be doing that much more slowly. I want this muscle to stay, so I'm going to be taking my time getting rid of the fat. I figure 207 on a 5'8" frame (ummm.....in my shoes) is enough for now. :) :FRlol:

Thanks for your post!

Yesterday's calories:

Total: 2722
Fat: 131
Carbs: 185
Protein: 198

Today's workout:
25 hyperextensions, 10 roman chair situps, 20 hyperextensions, 10 roman chair situps
light jogging
8 x 20-second sprints at roughly 70-80% max
Stretched about 5 minutes

Not bad...nice and easy. I had a recommendation to try ginger root with my shake, so I did. It's going SOME better, but I'm still a little queasy. We'll see how it goes...

nelmsjer said:
I figure 207 on a 5'8" frame (ummm.....in my shoes) is enough for now. :) :FRlol:

Thanks for your post!
^^ I love when ya round up :verygood:
Have you ever posted pics & have IP be the photog for a while? :Perk:

Nice OH squat. With OHP and squatting being my weakest lifts, you can imagine how good I am when they're combined :chomp:

anotherbutters said:
I'd like to see G5.0 to do some OH squats. That'll bring him down a peg or two ;)
I got my ass handed to me w/ 95 pounds - couldn't keep the bar back enough and it just kinda toppled forward into the safety bars. A little self-PWNAGE never hurt anyone :p

EDIT: but I like a challenge. I can hold 265 locked out overhead no problem, so I'm gonna specifically work on OH squats when i warm up from now on. We'll see what happens....

Last edited:
*Bunny* said:
^^ I love when ya round up :verygood:
Have you ever posted pics & have IP be the photog for a while? :Perk:

CRAP. I've been called out. Why did you have to ask while I'm bulking?

I'll have some up soon...

Top Bottom