Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Nelmsjer's 2006 Journal

nelmsjer said:
Speaking of, here is today's workout: 5 sets of 10 on everything. I got all reps on all sets. Done in circuit fashion, with 1 minute rest in between each exercise.

Front squat with 175 lbs.
Hanging pikes
Calf raises with 390 lbs.

This is the 3rd week of the program, and doing the 50 reps per exercise is MUCH easier than it was the first week!

Just the fronts sounds exhausting. For one, I couldn't hold my rack for 10 reps, and secondly even if I could I'd need about 5 minutes rest between sets. Front squats really take a lot out of me.

BTW, how are the joints feeling after all this reppage?

blut_wump said:
Welcome, IP. The name behind the acronym is revealed.

Thanks, blut_wump! She was a national level competitive figure skater in both singles and pairs. And don't let the "princess" name fool you or anyone else...she's as tough as they come in the weight room. :)

Jim Ouini said:
Just the fronts sounds exhausting. For one, I couldn't hold my rack for 10 reps, and secondly even if I could I'd need about 5 minutes rest between sets. Front squats really take a lot out of me.

BTW, how are the joints feeling after all this reppage?

The front squats are really tough. After the 3rd set, I'm breathing like a machine for the last 10 minutes of the workout. Like I said, though...it is a LOT better than it was the first week! Whew!

I'm feeling really good. I even commented to IP last night about how much better I feel compared to even just 4 months ago. I'm still having elbow problems, but they seem to be getting better. The rows are what initially did them in. Switching to supinated grip on the bent rows helped a lot, and now I alternate supinated and pronated without too much trouble. I'll be finalizing my next 5x5 workout program this weekend on paper and starting it next week. I'm READY!

nelmsjer said:
Thanks, blut_wump! She was a national level competitive figure skater in both singles and pairs. And don't let the "princess" name fool you or anyone else...she's as tough as they come in the weight room. :)

OMG TONYA HARDING

:p

nelmsjer said:
I'm feeling really good. I even commented to IP last night about how much better I feel compared to even just 4 months ago. I'm still having elbow problems, but they seem to be getting better. The rows are what initially did them in. Switching to supinated grip on the bent rows helped a lot, and now I alternate supinated and pronated without too much trouble. I'll be finalizing my next 5x5 workout program this weekend on paper and starting it next week. I'm READY!

Yeah the heavy rows hurt my elbow in addition to weighted pullups. I've been supinating both now for awhile and the 'bow feels alright. Maybe I'll ease back into pronated by alternating too.

Looking forward to your 5 x 5, should be good stuff.

Thanks, Jim! :)

Yesterday's workout was good and bad. Yesterday was 5 sets of 10, alternating dips and pullups. The dips were done with 25 lbs. on a dip belt, and I got all 5 sets of 10 without needing to pause, which was better than last week. So, that was good. The pullups, however, feel like they are getting progressively worse. I think I have been pushing past failure for too many weeks now on them. I'll be glad to jump back to 5x5. Something tells me the reduced workload (25 reps vs. 50 reps) is really going to allow for some amazing recovery and compensation.

I hope that's what happens, anyway. :FRlol:

Last edited:
Thursday's calories:

Total: 3072
Protein (g): 189
Carbs (g): 286
Fat (g): 133

Thursday's weight: 207.2 lbs.

Hey, all! Things have been very busy at work. Due to flooding and projects, Friday's workout got pushed to Saturday. All of a sudden, Saturday became emergency meeting day, so workout got pushed to today. This is supposed to be 10 sets of 5 at 365 lbs. on deadlift today, but I'm just not up to it. I'm going to keep the volume and drop the weight down so that I still have more workload than last week.

Let's see.... last week's workload was 14,600 lbs. Dividing that by 50 reps (instead of 40) gives me 292 lbs. so that I equal last week's workload. I think I'll drop from 365 to 315, have a more comfortable workout, and get a total workload of 15,750 lbs.

LOL...well, it looks good on paper, anyway. I'll update later on how it goes. :D

OK, I totally switched gears and started a new SF 5x5 today.

I still have some work to do on getting this next one together because of the quick change in heart, so I'll update tomorrow or the next day on the full layout. However, today's workout went as follows:

Squat (all for 5 reps): 165/206/247/288/329 - it was nice being under some weight again. I love squats!

Bench (all for 5 reps): 120/150/180/210/240 - again, it was nice getting back to the bench

Power cleans (all for 5 reps): 97/121/145/169/194 - I probably need some form work on this, but dang, I love these. What a blast!

IP and I REALLY enjoyed this workout. We're considering overhead squats on Wednesday, in place of the squats. We're also considering adding straight sets (no ramp up) of pullups on Wednesday. Anyone have input on that one?

One of the reasons that we are using overhead squats is to learn a new exercise that is technically difficult AND to reduce the workload on the legs, even if only a little bit. We are going to be adding in a small amount of cardio in on 2-3 of the off days. In all, I've gained 24 lbs. in the last 3 months, and I'm starting to feel uncomfortable. Also, we head out on a 3-week vacation approximately March 1st.

Finally, I'm considering purchasing a non-whey protein powder to try, so I can see if I will tolerate it any better ( :sick: ). Any suggestions?

Thanks, all!

Pullups ramped or straight-setted shouldn't make a big difference. I know Rippetoe recommends 3-4 sets of 12 with pullups, then add weight when you can hit all those comfortably at bodyweight, hit those reps again, add weight, etc. I like the approach, but some people just can't seem to break a rep barrier, and are better served by attaching some weight to a belt and doing lower reps. If you like the idea of straight sets more, then by all means go that route. You seem intelligent enough to be able to gauge the efficacy of it.

I like the idea of overhead squats, but front squats may be a better alternative. They're just easier to learn. But hey, a challenge is a great thing, and I loved overheads when I tried 'em out. It's humbling, I'll say that much.

24 lbs. in three months? 8 lbs. a month? 2 lbs. a week? Shame, you know to aim for 1 lb. per week my friend. I'm guessing you added a bit of fat, yea? I kid, I kid. At least you put the weight on. I was downing 4,000+ calories back in March 2005 and I didn't gain anything. My job is labor intensive, coupled with my adolesence and other activities. Any idea how much of what you gained was muscle?

I got me some chocolate calcium caseinate from TrueProtein. Tastes alright, but I love my ON 100% Whey. Caseinate gets foamy and tastes chalky. Gotta chug it quick. Then again, I had 2-3 16 oz. shakes a day, so if you're just using it for PW or something, I don't think it'll be a problem.

Top Bottom