Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Nelmsjer's 2006 Journal

nelmsjer said:
Front Squats: 5 sets of 10 @ 155 - I love these, but I thought I was going to die. I haven't done a set of 10 on anything in a very long time.

I know how you feel. I ran two 5 x 5's and then took a few weeks off doing some stuff in 12-15 rep range and I had this cold sweat going the whole time lol.

As far as fronts, I'm thinking from now on I'll be doing 3 reps or below and increase my sets, just to keep the weight moving. I just can't keep my rack at higher intensities for 5 reps, and no way for 10.

Wednesday's calories:

Calories 2968
Fat (g): 114
Carbs (g): 268
Protein (g): 227

Today is a scheduled workout day. We will be doing 5 sets of 10 on dips and chinups. The dips won't be difficult; however, my chest is sore from the inclines on Monday and the hanging pikes on Tuesday. I should get all the chinups, but we will see.

I noticed on a few other logs that donig supinated bent rows helped relieve some elbow soreness. I will try those for a few weeks and see if my elbow pain goes away. Any other thoughts on that?

Oh! One more thing...my vastus medialis are definitely sore from the front squats. It is obvious that they very specifically hit that muscle on Monday. Pretty interesting!

*Bunny*, you are just absolutely too sweet. Thanks for dropping by! :)

Ok, today's workout was nasty. The workout, as I mentioned, is 5 sets of 10 on dips and chinups. The exercises are alternated, and there is 1 minute rest in between. The dips went fine.

And then there were the chinups.

Ah, yes...the chinups. My first three sets of 10 chinups were just fine. On my fourth set, things got ugly. Form went out the window. They were kipped, pulled, yanked, grunted, or whatever else it took to get them. I only got 5 on the 4th set before coming down. Then I got 3. Then I got my last 2. I got down, praised God I wasn't working legs this hard, and went off to do my last set of dips.

And I was left with one more set of chinups to go.

The human body is interesting. I hit the bar and did the 3 ugliest chinups, yet. And then I dropped down, grabbed my wife, and made her do 3 more (she does all my workouts with me). Then I got up, thinking I would do another 3. I only got 2. I'm pretty sure my chin was in the general vicinity of the bar, perhaps pointed in the right direction. Then my wife did 3 more (I was spotting her after her first set. She's freaking studly, though, and got 8 on her first set). After her 3, I grimaced and did 2 more.

I still had 3 more to go. They were nasty, but I won. At the end, we had done 50 dips and 50 pullups in a little over 25 minutes. There is no doubt I will be greeted in the morning with pain. I had trouble tucking my shirt in, let alone buttoning it. It was enjoyable, and I'm smiling now thinking about doing it better next week.

Life is good.

nelmsjer said:
Oh! One more thing...my vastus medialis are definitely sore from the front squats. It is obvious that they very specifically hit that muscle on Monday. Pretty interesting!
LOL, so technical :) Well, my rectus femoris and vastus lateralis are sore as well :) (right leg only so far), not from squats though, from plyo lunge stuff from this morning ... yeow!

nelmsjer said:
*Bunny*, you are just absolutely too sweet. Thanks for dropping by! :)

At the end, we had done 50 dips and 50 pullups in a little over 25 minutes.
No Problem.
And, I see you & the hottie IP did mine for me, :) Every muscle in my upper body thanks you :)

*Bunny* said:
LOL, so technical :) Well, my rectus femoris and vastus lateralis are sore as well :) (right leg only so far), not from squats though, from plyo lunge stuff from this morning ... yeow!

We need to talk about this plyo stuff, sometime. And technical is what you get...my "Voracious Learner" is no joke! I'm a big nerd!

*Bunny* said:
No Problem.
And, I see you & the hottie IP did mine for me, :) Every muscle in my upper body thanks you :)

No problem! Whatever we can do for you, and we'll let you know how you feel in the morning! :evil:

Yesterday's food intake is embarassing. Life got in the way. I'll be eating more today, without a doubt. At any rate, here it is.

Calories 2814
Fat (g): 54
Carbs (g): 355
Protein (g): 228

Yesterday's bodyweight was 204.6. The musculature around both elbows is sore this morning. I think my brachioradialis may give me fits by the end of the day. At this point, it is a "healthy" sore, and we'll see how it progresses.

Today's workout: All exercises done circuit fashion. Deadlift, 60 seconds, decline situps, 60 seconds, calf raises, 60 seconds. Repeat x 10.

Deadlifts: 10 sets of 3 at 365. This was difficult, but all 10 sets were with good form. The problem is that next week we are supposed to do 10 sets of 4, which I don't think will happen. I'll try, and adjust as appropriate.

Decline situps: 10 sets of 3 with 45 lb. plate behind head. Last 4 sets were nasty.

Calf Raises: 10 sets of 3, single leg, with 100 lb. dumbbell strapped onto dip belt. Did I mention I freaking hate these? Useless, but lagging. Trust me, if I had hills here in Iraq, I'd run them, instead.

Bodyweight: 204.4 lbs.

If anyone is reading, I have a question for consideration. My total workload on deadlifts was 10 sets x 3 reps x 365 lbs. = 10,950. If I go as the workout was written, I am supposed to do the same weight for 10 sets of 4, which would equal 14,600. The problem is that I don't think I'm going to make it. I'm not being negative, I just know that this was rough, and the only way I could make it would be to dramatically lengthen the rest periods, which I don't have the luxury of doing. So, here is my question.

Should I base next week on workload or on intensity? If I drop down to 325 for 10 sets of 4, my workload total will be 13,000, and I will be able to complete it in the same amount of time as today's workout. Technically, however, intensity will have been reduced.

Thoughts?

Yesterday's calories: much better. After the deadlift workout, though, a couple 100 extra wouldn't have hurt.

Calories 3434
Fat (g): 98
Carbs (g): 376
Protein (g): 271

Ok, enough of that. Time for breakfast. ;)

A one-third increase in workload if you are already pushing yourself is huge. If your program calls for it then you have to accept that you started too heavy and have broken the program already.

Have you taken a look at Prilepin's table to check what total reps for this intensity he'd recommend? Moving from 30 reps to 40 suggests that you are striving to load or are working at a very low intensity and I don't get the impression that either is the case. Accordingly, you need to choose whether to abandon the program or take it back on track. Getting it back on track will require a huge drop in intensity.

Top Bottom