Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Need some help after a long layoff (hella long)

Elb

Sup all, been reading the boards for a few months now, and its been super informative, thanks. This is my first post tho.

Just some background: Im 29 now, used to lift from when i was 16-22. Im 5'6"-7". When I was lifting religiously I weighed like 165, was benching like 265 for reps. I was doing a 4 day split, with chest/tris/shoulders on monday/thursday, and back/bi's/legs tuesday/friday. Wed/sat/sun off. I havent lifted seriously in about 5 years or so, just here and there.

Now im about 180 lbs, so I gained about 15 lbs and lost alot of muscle. But im gettin started lifting again thanks to you guys, yer inspiring as hell. But I had a couple questions.

Seems like working each bodypart once a week is now the standard thought, which is new to me. Also I have a flat/incline bench at home with a full dumbell set, and can get more dumbell plates if need be. I also have a barbell, but no spotter. Was gonna go the smith machine route then thought naaah. Wondered what you guys thought of this routine.

Mon: chest(12 sets)/tris(9 sets) - flat & incline dumbell bench(4x6), incline/flat flyes. (4x8-12). kickbacks (3x8), lying tricep extensions (3x8), dips (3x8-12)

Tues: back/bi's- one arm bent over rows (4x6), dumbell pullovers (4x6), deadlifts (4x6). Barbell curls (3x6), hammer curls (3x6), incline dumbell curls (3x6).

Wed/Sat/Sun: off

Thurs: Legs - Dumbell Squats (4x6), Lunges (4x6), Dumbell stepups (4x6-8)

Fri- Shoulders - Seated dumbell press (4x6), upright rows (4x6), lateral raises (4x8)

If you have the time, lemme know what you think. This working each bodypart once a week is new to me, since im used to 4 day split, 2x a week per bodypart. But like I said its been 5 years or so, so im tryin to keep up with the times :)

Thanks for yer time, I know it was long as hell.

Elb

I took a 5 year layoff and went back to the gym at the age of 30. Within a few months I was back to my old 4 day double-split routine. That's when the injuries started.
Like you, I was surprised so many people these days were training once a week. So between injuries and my hectic schedule, I started doing that. And damned if the injuries didn't stop (though some never really healed, but I can at least work through them now), and my muscles started growing like they NEVER had before.
And at this age you start getting some really nice quality in the muscle, too.
Never too old to learn....

Looks good to me bro. The split should work nicely for you.

One thing, are you not working traps, calves, or abs?

Congrats on returning to the game. :)

Thanks for the replies fellas.

I only have access to dumbells and a barbell, so for traps, upright rows seems to be about all I can think of, maybe i'll throw some shrugs in there too.

Does the once per week training apply to abs as well? If so i'll do em on shoulder day.

Calves I always threw in with legs, so I figure i'll keep that schedule, unless you guys have other suggestions, im open :)

I did this routine this past week and it seems to be working out great so far. Only about an hour per workout at the most so I can really hit everything hard.

Feels good to be back in it, im so sore i can barely move after this past week back, and lovin it.

Thanks again for the responses.

Elb

An hour is more than enough in general, let alone when you first come back. Take it nice and slow til your body is used to the pace again. And don't worry about poundages for now. That'll come back in time.

Elb said:
Thanks for the replies fellas.

I only have access to dumbells and a barbell, so for traps, upright rows seems to be about all I can think of, maybe i'll throw some shrugs in there too.

Does the once per week training apply to abs as well? If so i'll do em on shoulder day.

Calves I always threw in with legs, so I figure i'll keep that schedule, unless you guys have other suggestions, im open :)

I did this routine this past week and it seems to be working out great so far. Only about an hour per workout at the most so I can really hit everything hard.

Feels good to be back in it, im so sore i can barely move after this past week back, and lovin it.

Thanks again for the responses.

Elb

I prefer to hit abs 2-3 times a week, especially if I'm cutting. They are a fairly shallow muscle group and recover much more quicky than thicker, denser and larger muscles like quads, lats, and chest.

The only other bodypart I train more than once a week is calves (twice...for whatever that's worth to you :) ).

You can do heavy shrugs with your barbell, especially if have straps. They are much more effective at targeting the upper traps than upright rows (which are murder on the rotator cuff anyway).

Congrats again bro. Stay tough.

Top Bottom