Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Need new routine for a couple of weeks/and advice on lower back

dosteov

I've been running the 5x5 or some variation thereof for a good amount of time now. I have my 1 rep max up to about 245 for squats and 315 for deads.

The problem is the last couple of weeks I've seem to have pinched a nerve (it doesn't seem to be muscular related) in the lower right side of my back and deads and squats seems to aggrevate it. It sucks and pisses me off but I think the best thing to do is to stay away from these movements for a couple of weeks and hope that the issue goes away.

I was thinking about doing either a upper body/lower body split or something like this.

Monday: Chest/Shoulders/Traps
Tuesday: Legs/Back
Wednesday:Off
Thursday:Chest/Shoulders/Traps
Friday:Legs/Back

I was thinking on focusing on the 8 rep range. Not sure how many sets to do for each.

Monday:
Barbell bench 4x8 (pyramiding up)
Decling bench 4x8 (pyramiding up)
Military 4x8 (pyramiding up)
Shrugs 4x8 (all the same weight or to failure)

Tuesday:
Legs I NEED SUGGESTIONS (Leg Presses would be one, anything that feels like it's tweaking my back I will stop).
Wide Grip Pull Ups 4x8 (pyramiding)
Close Grip Rows 4x8 (pyramiding)

Thursday
Dumbell bench 4x8 (pyramding up)
Dumbell flys 4x8 (all the same weight ot failure)
Behind the back shoulder press 4x8 (pyramiding up)
Shrugs 4x8(different angle then monday

Friday:
Legs Same Problems as Tuesday
Close Grip Ups 4x8(pyramiding)
Wide Grip Rows 4x8 (pyramiding)

Saturday:
ARM DAY and abs :)

i never liked lumping legs & back in the same day. if anything, toss all the upper body stuff together. the shoulder girdle is much more fragile than the hip area.
as for legs, you could do some lunges and good mornings, pull throughs, all kinds of squat or DL variations with varying intensities........

If you do leg press, be careful about going too deep. Don't go past the point that the hips start to turn under. Another way to say that is keep your hips against the backrest. Otherwise, you could injure your lower back. Spot with your hands if needed.

There are several single legged exercises that are very good. Being single legged they use less weight so they're easier on your back but the utlize more stabilization muscles for balance. Examples I've used are:
Step ups,
Bulgarian split squats,
Lunges, several varialions,
1 legged deadlifts.

These can be done with bodyweight or with progressively heavier dumbells or with a barbell across the shoulders. The latter is more advanced so be sure you're ready before you try that.

Top Bottom