Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Need to improve benching strength ..

Luciano_

I have made nice strength progress in all my muscle groups lately, but my benching has fallen behind … Don’t know why, my shoulders and tris are doing ok though.
For now I am just benching 3 x 8 to failure. What do you recommend? Shall I go for a 5x5 routine?
I care about size, but I know that size and strength is closely related …
I am doing a lot of flyes and db press, but I want to bench more because I really like that exercise.

I would thank some suggestions …

Cheers!

i liked 5x5 for bench and will continue to do it throughout the summer. it got me from a 200x3 to a 235x3 max flat bench in just under 4 months. chest growth didn't seem too dramatic, but i'm overly critical of myself and that might be why i'm not seeing it.

I'd suggest...
5x5 flat dumbell bench
2x8 slight dumbell incline
2x8 slight incline dumbell flies (go fairly light and concentrate on getting a full stretch at the bottom, and rotate your palms facing up at the top of your lift to get a good squeeze with your pecs.)
Also make close grip bench your primary exercise for your triceps. Maybe go 5x5 with them.
This worked very well for me.
Also, make sure you aren't using your front delts too much in your benching. When you lay on the bench, focus on pinching your shoulder blades together behind your back. Keep your shoulder blades together for the entire lift. Use less weight too, at first, until you are comfortable. This will emphasize your pecs more.

i never cared for the 2x8-10 rep/set scheme. i go 3 sets, 10, 8, 5-6 reps, increasing weight with each set. if i can hit 6 reps on that last set, i know the next week it's time to bump the weight up again. i'll jump up by 10lb dbs during those 3 sets. i'll be just shy of failure at the end of every set.

when i try to keep the same weight and do 2 sets of 8-10, the second set i can't complete. i dunno why that is either. if i go lighter, i don't feel like i'm getting enough work.

just my $0.02.

Westside training is the key.

Forget about bodybuilding workouts. BTW, what about your squat? So many threads about benching. . so little about squatting.

If you want good pecs i would stress inclines both barbell and d-bell..everyone loves the bench but its not the best exercise for pecs..i am not saying you should never bench..

wnt2bBeast said:
If you want good pecs i would stress inclines both barbell and d-bell..everyone loves the bench but its not the best exercise for pecs..i am not saying you should never bench..

Why is that tho? i do all three and im seeing pretty decent gains in my chest...alot better from what i used to have :)

JeSt3r said:
Why is that tho? i do all three and im seeing pretty decent gains in my chest...alot better from what i used to have :)

first most people do not bench properly they merely seek to lift the most weight possible regardless of form..It seems to me that 9 out of 10 people bench merely to impress those around them or to brag to their friends..So those that merely seek to move weight to impress are really stressing their front delts and tri's more than the pecs..I am not against benching its a part of my routine but im much more concerned about feeling it in my pecs rather than piling on the weight for 3/4 of a rep and then brag that i got 350!!

lol if i wasnt using proper form id probally kill myself because of the weights i use lol....maybe next time ill do incline dumbells instead of flat

JeSt3r said:
lol if i wasnt using proper form id probally kill myself because of the weights i use lol....maybe next time ill do incline dumbells instead of flat

if your seeing results and feeling it in the pecs then you most likely have good form..you have a good mix though so keep that up..use them all d-bells the bar just keep at it and youll progress nicely

Top Bottom