Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Need help boosting lifts (no spotter)

MikeScott

My maxes aren't that good, not going to post but I want to boost my main lifts (Deads, Bench, Push, Squat) but I never have a spotter and everyone I ever ask at my gym ignores me or acts like I'm asking them to donate a fuckin kidney.

So, is the smith machine suffiecient machine to boost my lifts? Also, what does the bar weigh in a smith?

First off, you need to go to a diff gym. If it's your only option, that sucks, but any gym where people won't lend a quick spot to a courteous person isn't worth your money. Can you post your routine and any gains you've made with corresponding dates? I can't stand the smith machine for hardly anything -- I bet we can find you a better option!

smith machine has its uses. but obviously the best for gettin your max's up or building muscle is plain ol heavy free weights. Use the power rack as die faster mentioned if you have access to one. look into the 5x5 program

ask someone when they are in between their sets to spot you. dont go up to someone when they are busy. any real lifter will be glad to spot someone between sets instead of just standing. also you need to find some gym buddies who will spot you and you spot them. this is very important... be-friend people... or worst case as gym staff to spot you, they HAVE TO spot you if you ask them, its company policy at 99% of gyms. staff is getting paid to serve their members!

any standard olympic bar weighs 45 pounds.

The reason that nobody is answering your question about bar weight on the Smith Machine is because there is no standard weight for a bar on a smith machine.

If you detached the bar from the machine, it's either going to weigh 35 pounds or 45 pounds depending on the brand of smith machine. However, most smith machines counterbalance the bar somewhat, which lessens the effective weight of the bar (not to mention the inertial stabilization that the racks provide by keeping you on the same vertical path has a huge impact on "real" work done).

If you don't believe me, unhook the bar on the smith machine, raise it over your head, stand back, and let it drop. Have a buddy to the same thing right next to you with a basic olympic bar. While the smith bar will "glide" down, the regular olympic bar will predictably fly towards the ground.

This begs the question -- how much assistance is the Smith Machine giving you? If the smith bar doesn't fall as fast as a regular "unhindered" olympic bar, then it's technically lighter -- but how much? Some smith machines will try and give you an answer in the documentation somewhere on the machine, but even that is suspect.

If you absolutely, POSITIVELY have to use a smith machine, I'd go conservative and count the bar as zero. You'll be much better off trying to make gains that way IMO.

all the points above are right on but you also dont need a spotter. deads, and presses dont require them. if you want to break through platues on these lifts do some rack deads or just deadlift off of some plates not the floor. hope that makes sense. for presses you can do a lil push press to do a sub max lift.

I also learned how to dump a squat if i failed a lift.

for bench you can use db's.

also switch your routine around a bit.. change up the sets/rep scheme, do some different exercises etc etc and tht will help you break through a plateau.

just ask someone nearby politely that doesn't look busy if they have a minute don't ask trainers that are training a client or someone wearing head phones etc...

+1 on the 5x5 workout for strength. Power cage with pins ftw. You might as well get used to working with no spotter anyway.

Top Bottom