Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Neck Injury not healing....help!!!

jeff2004

about 6 months ago i was doing shrugs and i pulled something in my trap on my right side. the trap feels fine now, but my neck has been very sore and stiff for the last 4 months. my physical therpist said that my neck pain was in the same trap muscle that i strained, just higher up. i have very limited motion. ive pretty much stayed away from the gym during the last 6 months.

ive had x-rays, and physical therpy (including A.R.T.), and im no better off. heat pads seem to help a little. my physical therpist said she thinks im not getting better because my poor posture creates additional strain on my neck and im not giving the neck time to heal. that makes sense, however, the pain is usually much worse in the mornings after ive been resting my neck and where my posture would not affect it. so that makes me question her diagnosis.

i have two questions:

1. has anyone had such a problem? or any ideas why im not getting better?

2. should i completely stay away from the gym?

thanks for any and all suggestions.

first of all:

how many pillows do you sleep with. honestly! if you have your neck all jacked up high, how do you expect the proper length/tension relationship to return on you next extensors (the ones you pulled).

when you walk around is your chin jutting forward or do you tuck your chin and keep your head up?

posture will play a huge role, but you gotta look at your surroundings. see what makes you messed up and fix it. my recommendation is to ditch your pillows and sleep on your back or sleep on just one if you are on your side.

bignate73 said:
first of all:

how many pillows do you sleep with. honestly! if you have your neck all jacked up high, how do you expect the proper length/tension relationship to return on you next extensors (the ones you pulled).

when you walk around is your chin jutting forward or do you tuck your chin and keep your head up?

posture will play a huge role, but you gotta look at your surroundings. see what makes you messed up and fix it. my recommendation is to ditch your pillows and sleep on your back or sleep on just one if you are on your side.

i sleep on only 1 pillow. honestly.

but my jaw does jut forward. this is exactly what my PT said may be the problem as to why im not healing. but im still confused as to why i feel worse when i wake up. if the problem is due to my posture (jaw jutting forward) than shouldnt i feel easier in the morning and worse as the day goes along?

immobility at night can worsen strained muscles and tendons. also, there is more blood flow when you lay down, which increases swelling. do you take tylenol? sleeping has always aggrevated my tendon injuries, which is what your injury sounds like to me. did you have deep tissue massage done? im not familiar with they type of therapy that you had, but a good masseuse can do wonders for jacked muscles, tendons, and pinched nerves. find someone that knows pressure point therapy/ deep tissue massage and i bet they will be able to help you a lot. when there is scar tissue and tears internally, a massage is the only thing that can really solve it.

jeff2004 said:
i sleep on only 1 pillow. honestly.

but my jaw does jut forward. this is exactly what my PT said may be the problem as to why im not healing. but im still confused as to why i feel worse when i wake up. if the problem is due to my posture (jaw jutting forward) than shouldnt i feel easier in the morning and worse as the day goes along?

not necessarily. unless you know how you sleep all night it can actually make things worse. imagine sleeping fetal position with your head tucked, jaw jutting, all night. then you wake up and continue on. but in the morning you are tight from immobility.

JohnRobHolmes said:
immobility at night can worsen strained muscles and tendons. also, there is more blood flow when you lay down, which increases swelling. do you take tylenol? sleeping has always aggrevated my tendon injuries, which is what your injury sounds like to me. did you have deep tissue massage done? im not familiar with they type of therapy that you had, but a good masseuse can do wonders for jacked muscles, tendons, and pinched nerves. find someone that knows pressure point therapy/ deep tissue massage and i bet they will be able to help you a lot. when there is scar tissue and tears internally, a massage is the only thing that can really solve it.

i didnt know that about the blond flow and immobility at night. thanks.

i havent done deep tissue massage but i did do A.R.T., and i had another form of PT done on my shoulders. i have forgotten what it was called. it may have been pressure point therapy. i will look into deep tissue massages this week.

Bignate. good point about the sleeping position. i just assumed that because my head was resting on the pillow that the muscles/tendons were resting and hopefully healing, but i can see how they may be stretched out in an akward position.

karma to you both. thanks for posting.

Top Bottom