Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
i think 1 hour workouts are best; not including any cardio, if you do that kind of thing...

Thats fine if your doing general fitness training but not for competative athletes. The more advanced that you become its going to require more work. An 800lb squatter has to do way more sets than a 200lb squatter. Therefore an hour is unrealistic, hell its going to take that long to squat let alone assistance work. The point is a training session isn't over until you complete your work.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using EliteFitness

Tuesday 12-27-11: 5/3/1 Overhead Press

Overhead Press
5xbar
5x95
3x115
4x140

Floor Press
5x135
3x170
4x185

Incline Bench
3x5x135
2x5x145

Underhand Grip Medium Cable Row
5x8x130

Face Pulls With Rope
5x8x70

Nice short workout yesterday. I'm really struggling with eating properly, my stomach is still super sensitive from getting the stomach flu. I was 182 before the gym yesterday and 179 afterwards. I was 189 on Friday. I don't even want to know how much I weigh right now, I'm hungry yet still nauseous. Maybe I should go to the doctor. I'm thinking of just doing a "deload week" on the eating, since I've been forcing myself to eat for the last 7 months. It's probably not the best idea because I'm most likely going to lose muscle, but I feel I need this mentally.

Thats fine if your doing general fitness training but not for competative athletes. The more advanced that you become its going to require more work. An 800lb squatter has to do way more sets than a 200lb squatter. Therefore an hour is unrealistic, hell its going to take that long to squat let alone assistance work. The point is a training session isn't over until you complete your work.

Yeah that's what my trainer's been saying, if you finish everything in under an hour you're probably not taking long enough rest periods. It is optimal hormonally speaking to keep it under an hour but if you're not even finishing your workout it defeats the purpose of having the maximum amount of testosterone and GH, etc.

It's kind of funny how this website automatically makes links when I type testosterone and GH xD.

Thursday 12-29-11: 5/3/1 Squat

Low Box Low Bar Back Squats
many x bar
5x135
3x185
3x205
3x215
3x225
3x225

Front Squats
5x135
3x185
3x215
2x245

Stiff Leg Sumo Deadlifts
5x135
5x185

Weighted Abs
10x25 steep decline from dead stop

Pull Ups
10xBW

Yesterday's workout was pretty tough. Apparently even though I've been squatting a little lower than all those guys in the IPF (based on videos I've taken of myself on max effort squats), it's still not low enough to qualify in USAPL. I thought I was going parallel because the bottom of my thigh was parallel with the ground, but the top of my hip joint was still about 2 inches above my knee. My trainer also wanted me to go 3 inches below that so that when the weights got heavy I would still be in the habit of going low enough. So we did a ton of stretching and then temporarily added a low box so that I would know when I was hitting 3 inches below parallel. Well needless to say I couldn't do nearly as much weight as I could on an IPF depth normal squat, so it was pretty degrading to struggle with 3x225. Either way, my hamstrings are really weak, so I need to keep doing this until I get my strength up. We're probably going to add squats on another day so that I'm squatting more than just once a week.

Since my quads are still strong I managed to do more weight on my front squats than back squats even though I was going just as low, if not lower. My trainer had me use a clean grip as opposed to the bodybuilding grip I'd been using before, which was really painful, but it felt a lot tighter.

So at this point we'd been there about 2.5 hours because we had to spend so long stretching and getting my form right, and I didn't have enough time to do the full assistance work 5x8, so I threw in some weighted abs to balance out my back real quick and winged it on the assistance. Getting my hamstrings up to speed is going to be a pain in the ass (literally, my glutes are sore, too), but I guess it's worth it.

The ipf rules are what usapl uses as a guideline. The depth is the same for both feds. Your hip joint has to be below your knees. Your thigh doesn' t matter. In order to fix your posterior chain issues your going to have to do extra work on it. Do you own any bands? If not you can order some from elitefts. You only need one mini or monster mini to start. Get the long band. At night do band good mornings at home with the long mini. To do this step on the band with both feet, and put the other end around your neck, then simply do good mornings both close and wide for 3-6 sets of 15- 20. Do this couple times a week, but don' t go over board. Use this as recovery and assistance work.

The ipf rules are what usapl uses as a guideline. The depth is the same for both feds. Your hip joint has to be below your knees. Your thigh doesn' t matter. In order to fix your posterior chain issues your going to have to do extra work on it. Do you own any bands? If not you can order some from elitefts. You only need one mini or monster mini to start. Get the long band. At night do band good mornings at home with the long mini. To do this step on the band with both feet, and put the other end around your neck, then simply do good mornings both close and wide for 3-6 sets of 15- 20. Do this couple times a week, but don' t go over board. Use this as recovery and assistance work.

All right, thanks for the tip man, I'll definitely start doing those! I've got a few bands at home.

What I meant was I was going lower than what I see those guys from Westside doing, whichever federation that is, I thought it was IPF. I thought parallel just meant the bottom of your thigh, which I was reaching, but these extra few inches are really making it difficult haha. I'm going to invest in some weight lifting shoes, since I'm also having trouble with flexibility and keeping my heels on the ground for bench press, I've heard WL shoes help a lot with hitting depth once you get used to them.

Friday 12-30-11: 5/3/1 Bench: 5/3/1

Bench Press
Warmups (stretching, repping light weights)
5x175
3x200
3x225 PR!!!
0x225 Paused (almost)
1x225
1x225

Olympic Jerks
Warmups (OHP, shoulder dislocations with band)
5x135
3x145
3x165 PR

Light Sling Shot Paused Bench Press
5x135
3x205
1x225

JM Press
5x8x85

Facepulls
5x8x100

Rotator Cuff Prehab Stuff
Sets of 15 and 20

Max effort bench press today, I got a huge PR (that's why it's red!) on bench press, I repped my previous max with ease, I probably could have hit more but my trainer says as a general rule, don't go over 3 on max effort 5/3/1 day (and don't go over 5 reps on 3x3 day, don't go over 8 reps on 3x5 day), just increase the base max for the cycle. We did a few paused singles and I was really close to 225, but I didn't get it because I didn't remember to pinch my shoulder blades in the set up. Then by going to failure on that set the rest of the workout kind of got screwed up, but I still got a PR on jerks. By the time we got to slingshot I was too mentally fatigued to push myself on heavy compound lifts so we jumped into assistance, did some shoulder rehab, and called it a day.

All right, thanks for the tip man, I'll definitely start doing those! I've got a few bands at home.

What I meant was I was going lower than what I see those guys from Westside doing, whichever federation that is, I thought it was IPF. I thought parallel just meant the bottom of your thigh, which I was reaching, but these extra few inches are really making it difficult haha. I'm going to invest in some weight lifting shoes, since I'm also having trouble with flexibility and keeping my heels on the ground for bench press, I've heard WL shoes help a lot with hitting depth once you get used to them.

Westside competes in the spf which is a great fed but you are not required to go as low as ipf. All you have to do is have the hip joint barely below knee the ipf is several inches below. Invest in converse chuck taylors there the best lifting shoe and only $40

I'm going to invest in some weight lifting shoes, since I'm also having trouble with flexibility and keeping my heels on the ground for bench press, I've heard WL shoes help a lot with hitting depth once you get used to them.

They mainly help hitting depth for high-bar, front squats and Olympic lifts - they might actually hurt you in the low-bar squat by screwing with your body mechanics (to much forward lean). I think there is an article on it at wlshoes.com

Top Bottom