Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
Friday 2-17-12: Overhead Press

OHP
5x75
5x95
5x115
5 pull ups
5x120
5 pull ups
6x135
5 pull ups
4x135, rest 20 sec, 3x135, rest 20 sec, 2x135, rest 20 sec, 1x135
5 pull ups, rest 20 sec, 4, 20 sec, 3, 20 sec, 2, 25 sec, 3

Pin Press
warmups
5x185
5x215

JM Press Supersetted with Face Pulls
JM Press
5xbar
8x75
3x8x95
Face Pulls
8x80
3x8x120

Done. Really fast workout, *only* about 2 hours, it was weird getting out of the gym with the sun still out. Either way, I'm really excited for tomorrow because my training partner and I are going to be training strongman with a guy from our gym. That's why I didn't go too intense today in the gym, and didn't do many back exercises besides the pull ups and face pulls, so I can be fresh tomorrow. I think the guy has 95 lb sandbags, 180 lb pieces of timberwood with farmer's walk handles, atlas stones, an anchor weighing 365 lbs, and a couple other things I forgot. We'll probably also be pushing around my training partner's truck. Really stoked, might get some videos. Then I'm going to kempo to grapple afterwards, if I can even stand. I want to maximize my gains from this, so I'll be eating like a beast this next week, force feeding and all. I'm excited.

Monday 2-20-12: Squats

Squat
warmups
5x260
3x295
4x330 22 lb PR!

Front Squat
warmups
5x210
3x240
4x260 3 lb PR

Sumo SLDL
8x135
8x225
8x295 20 lb PR!

Good stuff. Didn't get to do too much stuff because I worked out with a buddy of mine whose new to lifting, so I had to spend a lot of time working on his form, but I still felt pretty strong today. I was really happy with my squat PR, that boosts my squat by 20 lbs! I think I might have had 5 in me, but I wanted to leave some in the tank for front squats. I keep screwing up my front squat weight, I was supposed to do 265, but I did 260, so I'm really glad I got 4, a small PR. Then SLDL was a 20 lb PR from last week, and felt easier, too. Next time I'll do 315 for 8. Strongman couldn't go on Saturday but it's all good, hopefully next week.

Tuesday 2-31-12: Bench 5/3/1

Bench
warmups
5x195
3x225
2x245
1x245 I tried to redeem myself but just matched my previous PR. Oh well, I made some gains, if only insignificant ones.

Bench 245x2 - YouTube

Jerk
warmups
5x155
3x175
3x200

Jerk 200x3 - YouTube

Total of 35 pull ups between sets, 5 BW, 5 with 10 lbs+BW, 25 with 15 lbs+BW (about 195-200 right now)

Pendlay Row
3x5x165

Facepulls
High reps with rope

I was a little disappointed with my bench today, but I guess you could say I have a love-hate relationship with the lift. It's the lift I care about most, yet the lift I'm the least genetically gifted for. Small PR by about 3 lbs or .5 reps, but I definitely wasn't happy with it. Tried to redeem myself, but even with a good setup I was too fatigued and too weak to make 3. At least I got in some more volume. Jerks went well, 200x3 is a big PR. I got in some good pulling volume in between sets, on Friday I'm going to do sets of 5 chin ups with 25 lbs in between sets of OHP. Even if our strongman friend can't do this Saturday, my training partner just bought 400 lbs of plates off craigslist and is going to make an axle, a circus dumbbell and farmer's walks hopefully by this weekend. I will definitely have to tweak my training schedule to accommodate it, I might just do event training with a focus on overhead stuff and completely take out Friday OHP, maybe move around the rest of my training schedule to accommodate. More on that in the future. Pendlays went all right, starting light so I can progressively load it, then I finished off with some high rep facepulls to keep my shoulders healthy.

Overhead Press

OHP
5x120
3x135
4x150
1x160, 20 sec rest, 1x160, 20 sec rest, 1x160

Pin Press
5x190
3x215
3x240

Volume Rows
5x8x150

Shoulder Prehab Work

Good stuff. Happy with my PR on OHP. Looking forward to strongman on Sunday.

Since I'm going to be doing Strongman on Sundays, I've made a new template:

Tuesday: 5/3/1 Squat, 5/3/1 Front squat, Ramped 4x8 Sumo SLDL, further assistance if there's time.
Thursday:5/3/1 Bench, 5/3/1 Board Press, Weighted pull ups in between sets of pressing, 3x5 Pendlay Rows, 4x8 JM Press supersetted with 4x8 chin ups, 4x8 Bradford Press.
Friday:5/3/1 Deadlift, 4x8 GHR, Abs/lower back assistance if there's time.
Sunday:5/3/1 Log or axle jerks, push presses, strongman event training.

Face pulls and shoulder prehab when needed or on rest days when I have weight training at school. I think this is the best I can do since I can't go to the gym on Wednesdays and Saturdays/Sundays, a few problems being that I only have 1 day of rest between deadlifts and strongman, only 1 day of rest between strongman and squats, and that I'm doing so much back work right before deadlift day. Should be fine though as long as I keep my lower back fresh, since I always feel I fail my deadlifts the most in my hands, lower back, and hips, but I can tweak it if necessary, maybe try moving pendlay rows to Squat day. The good thing though, is that I still have a lot of rest between log/axle overhead and bench, since my shoulders and triceps have a very low work capacity, and it could still work out because my legs have a high work capacity. Still, this seems to be the same template most strongmen have, except everything is 1 day after and I do bench instead of OHP, since I'm still planning on competing in powerlifting.

Sunday Strongman

Warmups

Farmer's Walk
180 lb timber in each hand: 3x100 yards there and back, my times were 27 sec, 12.7 sec, 12.8 sec, on the uphill part.

Sandbag Relay
98 lb sandbag: We did a relay race, so I had 2 people carrying the sandbag 100 yards and back as a break in between me doing the same, 3 times.

275 lb Wheelbarrow
3x100 yards

Fun but short, this whole workout including warmups took a total of about 45 mins. My lower back is toasted, and my forearms and traps were pumped. Next week I think we're going to do tire flip, farmer's walk with 270 lbs in each hand, and axle clean and presses. I'm pretty stoked about this, the farmer's walk was actually a lot easier than I expected, 180 with no knurling hurts a lot less than 100 with knurling, but it's also harder, plus the fact I had to stabilize the timbers as opposed to the dumbbells. The first time I took 27 sec because it felt so awkward, but the second 2 times I got 12.7 and 12.8, which I felt pretty decent about. The sandbag carry was crushing my lungs, I tried a few different grips but ended up preferring hugging it at my gut. Then the wheelbarrow was moving around a ton and the handles were pretty thick, so it really tested my grip. The whole thing weighed 270 but I'm not a physicist so I don't know how much of the rig I was actually carrying. At least 135 lbs. Deload week next week, I'm going to do bench on Tuesday, SQ/DL on Wed, and OHP thurs, then strongman on Sunday again, before I go into my new split.

Top Bottom